Bedlington Terriers any owners on the forum? General Chat

Discussion in 'Bedlington Terrier' started by SLB, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Bedlington Terriers any owners on the forum?

Lovely dogs - do we have any owners on here?

I saw one yesterday and there is one up at my parents, but not very common - or are they?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I quite like Bedlingtons, I seriously looked into them, but they still have a terrier like attitude which puts me off a bit.
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    There are a couple around here...a couple of purebred ones and a couple of Whippet x Bedlingtons. Not sure I fancy the look of the purebred ones, but I love the two Whippet x Bedlingtons I know, cracking dogs.
  5. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    They have a working and a show strain as well I prefer the working to be honest. I used to trim two one for each lovely dogs.
  6. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I have seen about 3 in the 7 years we have had our Kerries. One feisty and 2 friendly ones.

They don't look like "proper" terriers to me (sorry!) but perhaps that's just the ear pom-poms I find off-putting!
  7. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    No owners?

They do look like an odd terrier, but then again, they are like Kerries in the sense that I suppose most people mix them up with poodles?
  8. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Yes they have a woolly coat and they do look more Poodle like than Kerries in my opinion as Kerries are much too square faced and chunky in build to be Poodle-like whereas Bedlingtons are finer-boned and build.

Just something you have to get used to when you have a curly-coated breed I guess!
  9. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I was only joking ;)

But yes, however I can see getting confused with a Kerrie and a Schnauzer - they look very similar.
  10. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Yes I get this quite a lot -people comment "My friend/neighbour/relative has one of those dogs in the small size" to which I reply "they only come in one size"! but having met a standard Schnauzer it did look very similar to Parker apart from different coat texture so I can see how people could think this.

More intelligent comment than all the people who have asked me if Cherry was a Scottie!! I am too polite to say what I am thinking -yes but she had to be rehomed from her breeder as her legs wouldn't stop growing!!
  11. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Aww that poor person - speak your mind - stop confusing them so the rest of us have to sort them out :043: :lol: But then again Louie has been referred to as an Irish red setter :? strange.

Kerries have more beard than a Schnauzer don't they? And to keep it on topic Bedlingtons don't have any beard :mrgreen: as far as I am aware
  12. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Don't know if Kerries have more beard than a Schnauzer to be honest. Back on topic-saw a Bedlington today on the park! Would like to have had a chat with the owner with us both having uncommon terrier breeds but he had ear-phones on so not possible. Looked a nice dog and was friendly having a good time running about with other dogs.

Bedlingtons defintely are beardless.

Strange seeing one after this topic put on here recently as not seen one for years.
  13. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Saw a Bedlington Terrier pup in a park in Cardiff once - what a cute dog! They look much better in person imo.

Here's a few youtube vids - they're like little lambs :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  14. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    I didn't see any when I was in Bedlington :-( but they do have Bedlington Terriers embossed on all their litter bins there :)

Mind you I didn't see any BSDs last time I was in Belgium either :lol:
  15. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Yes I notice that quite a lot. Like someone said something about Cotons and then loads of Coton owners came out of the woodwork :shock:

I think that's what they are best known for - lambs, not actually sure what they were bred for though..

I saw a lot of chocolate in Belgium. :lol: :mrgreen: I've been there 3 times, twice on a school trip to see the WW1 tributes and graveyards etc and once with the family and I haven't seen any BSD's either time. It's odd.
  16. lotlot

lotlot New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    I am an owner :p :) I have a 7 month old puppy from working lines. They are such amazing little dogs!! He is the most affectionate little dog, and soo intelligent. Unfortunately he's going through the very testing adolesence phase atm which is making him somewhat difficult to deal with at times. And he can be soo stubborn. I love that though :)
  17. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I'm not a fan of small fluffy dogs, and terriers, but I really like the Bedlingtons, I don;t know what it is about them, I kept trying to talk my mum into one :lol:
  18. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Name:
    Wendy
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Two near me, cute dogs but the clue is in the name "terrier" something one of the owners I know seemed to forget,:roll: she sees it as a lap dog , dressed in diamante , and cant understand why her little darling goes off following its nose:roll:
  20. lotlot

lotlot New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    The copper toxicosis is now being weaned out of the breed with good breeding and the introduction of genertic testing. I had my pup tested and he doesn't have either of the affected genes :)
  21. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    Am glad your pup is unaffected. However, even with genetic testing etc - we are still seeing affected dogs.:-(