Before crossing the bridge General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Kim&Mike, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Kim&Mike

Kim&Mike New Member

Name:
    Mike

Before crossing the bridge

Hello. We have two collies, one an aging fella (12.5 years now) called Jasper and a 4.5 year old girl, Bluebell. We've had Jasp twelve years and Bluebell nearly two and got both from a Collie Rescue, many years apart. Bluebell had suffered serious neglect and it took us many months to draw her out from the tightest corners of the room she'd squeeze herself away into and make her comfortable. But what do you know, she's now a sassy, perky, bright and very smart dog always wanting affection but she still takes so many of her cues from her good ol' pal Jasper. It's like synchronized swimmers, they'll lie together in almost mirror positions, they'll both do unified circles as they scuff their beds ready to sleep at night and glance out the window and invariably they'll be strolling along shoulder to shoulder; she just dotes on him even as his movement steadily deteriorates. So the question is this; sadly I have to guesstimate that Jasp has months (hopefully a good few) rather than years left on the clock and his departure will leave a chasm for us but maybe an even huger void for Bluebell. And we intend to fill that void because both dogs have got so much out of being together. So we plan to get another Collie but the question is should that come in due course after our old friend crosses the bridge or might it be best to get another sooner and have a threesome for a while so the eventual dark day maybe just a bit easier for us and especially for Bluebell? Anybody who has been through this and did similar or who just has a view, we'd welcome the input??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Is Jasper ill?

I ask because my collie lived to be 16 years old.

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, would Jasper be able to cope with a bouncy pup? Would it upset the beautiful relationship between your existing dogs if another was brought into the mix?

All questions to consider
  4. Kim&Mike

Kim&Mike New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Not ill per se but the arthritis is hitting harder such that he needs one of us to walk a couple of steps in front of him as he goes down stairs now because he can easily lose control and his hind quarters have withered visibly in the past six to nine months. Just based on what I see I cannot imagine he'll be able to stretch another three years because quality of life will become a factor sooner than that. As to any next dog, certainly no puppy, as and when we'll be looking for another collie around Bluebells' age from the Rescue; like to get the less fortunate back on track. That's really the question, is two company, three a crowd or because collies are so laid back anyway could the threesome work fine for a while and then perhaps a bit less of a wrench for Bluebell in due course?
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    What a wonderful family you have
    I would leave everything as it is, when the dak day comes Bluebell May cope better than you think
    If she doesn’t that may be the time to consider getting another “ play mate “
    You run the risk of upsetting the happy couple and that in turn would upset you
    I for one say ” enjoy what you have for know “
    Let us all know what you decide