Being sensible about utonagans? Questions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Moon's Mum, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda

Being sensible about utonagans?

Hi,

My partner has just found out about utonagans (well actually he's seen the 'other' unmentionable breed but I won't talk about that). Anyway, he's head over heels in love and determined to get one.

I've just started reading up and I can clearly see that it's a very sensitive topic. I don't come here to start and arguement plus I'm new to the forum so please be nice!

Besically I'd like to throughly investigate this option before making any decision. From first impression I've got to say it does seem like an ideal dog for us at some point. Equally we don't want to get stuck with a badly bred unhealty dog....

Can anyone please give some sensible practical advice about looking into these dogs? Can anyone reccommend a breeder, I know some of you have healthy utonagans on here. Can anyone tell me the pitfalls to watch out for? The scams to avoid? I don't want breed bashing, just useful advice.

I hope someone can help :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rottiedad

rottiedad New Member

Name:
    glen
    hi this is probably of no help have u googled it as this is new to me and would like to no now myself
  4. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Yes, I have googled it thanks. I'm worried tht a lot of breeders website are full of te 'lies' they are accused off. I'm not sure who to believe any more so I'm hoping some experience people on here can point me in the right direction......
  5. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Good luck :)

I must admit I too was attracted to these 'breeds' but the more I read, the more I realise it just isn't worth the risk.

As you say, it is impossible to know who to believe about what. For every person saying 'you can trust so and so' you're likely to get at least one more saying "oh no you can't". (bit like a pantomine really, only not as funny).
  6. rottiedad

rottiedad New Member

Name:
    glen
    have u tryed ********* or even phone a breeder and quizz them
  7. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi - sorry for the brief answer, I'm on my way out.

Are you looking for a puppy to be shipped to Vietnam?

There are health issues in Utonagan lines - my own dog has epilepsy, which is in his lines and his sister was diagnosed with Addison's (incidentally, their brother is being used in the breeding programme of the other breed you refer to that we don't mention on here). May I suggest that you contact The Utonagan Association for information? There is no breeding going on there at the moment but you will get some excellent advice.

Hope this helps.
  8. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Thanks, I'll contact them (also getting confused between Untonagan associations and British Utonagan associations......cripes this is confusing!)

Just to clarify, no I am absolutely not looking to get a dog shipped to Vietnam. In fact we just rescued our dog Moon from here and flew him to the UK. Wouldn't wish this country on any dog! I am back to the UK in December. Once Moon is out of quarantine we'll be looking for afriend for him. We are hopefully getting another rescue dog but we are investigating utonagans as a possibility
  9. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

It does get confusing :lol: . I can't put a link up to TUA because it contains a forum but there is a contact e-mail and a Phone number on the website.

Have you considered re-homing a Utonagan?

Must dash, I'm late as usual :lol: .

Good luck.
  10. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    I would LOVE to rehome an utonagan, it would be our ideal solution as I'm really keen on rescue dog. However there doesn't seem to be many rescues about......*crosses fingers* thanks for your help!
  11. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Is it just a utonagan or would an NI fit the bill as well? There are a few NI's looking for a new home and both groups have some one in charge of resuce . . .
  12. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Tbh I'm still a little confused about the difference....as long as it was wolfy looking I think my partner would be happy. Doesn't specifically have to be utonagan unless someone points out a massive difference but i don't think thats goig to happen. Sulin Cariad is my ideal looking dog! I'm in love with her. I'm not keen on the more husky looking ones....

Of course, looks is not the top priority (health, temperment etc) but if your looking for a specific breed it is a factor.
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    NI's and Utes came from the same start, the Utes tend to have a longer coat then most NI's but there are different lengths in both breeds. A good example of the different colours and coats is Werewolfs thread

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=96422

She has 3 amazing NI dogs, a longer coated one, a dark one and a sliver one. Might help to clarify it a bit for you. My girl is in the middle with a full mask but is not longer coated;

[​IMG]

(really need to take some more pictures!)
  14. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Oh she's gorgeous! whats her name?
  15. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Is a saarloo very different?
  16. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

No problem.:grin:

If you want to think about a rescue with TUA you are best applying asap because people are thoroughly vetted and checked out BEFORE they even get on the waiting list.
  17. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    *runs of to register!* I'm completely smitten by this breed already. There's a show/event in Argyllshire in Feb which I hop to get to, meet the dogs and talk to some people. Hopefuly I can learn a lot there.
  18. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    She is called Elena or Ela for short (when she isn't being called that B***** pest!)
  19. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    I will tell Cariad you are in love with her.:lol: :lol: :lol:
  20. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    yes very different, and without some of the health problems

21. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    didn't realise it was in argylshire in feb think I'll take stinky bet they'll be some birds there he'll fall in love with x