Bichon lost too young Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by JayJ, Oct 21, 2017.

1. JayJ

JayJ New Member

Name:
    Jay

Bichon lost too young

Looking for some comfort. My best bud Maxie passed away 3 weeks ago very suddenly. He was a 6 year old purebred (at least I think he was) bichon frisé. I adopted him from a rescue. He was born in a puppy mill so had no info on his parents. He went to all his vet appointments, always with getting a clean bill of health. I noticed some changes when he lost 2 teeth at age 5. His dental hygiene was good overall. Checked with a few vets who didn't see it as an issue, but I thought it was too young even for his breed who is susceptible to early tooth loss. He also went through some changes when we got a Labrador about a year or so ago. They eventually became close, but the early days were not pleasant. Maxie was my first dog so I'm not sure if he was exhibiting signs of pain & I didn't know. Two nights before he passed he vomited a lot, may 6 or 7 times. I was going to take him to the vet if it persisted, but he stopped & went to sleep. Next day he was ok, but my parents told me he was walking a bit slow on his regular morning walk. Then he had to be encouraged to eat his breakfast which never happens. He later had a diarrhea and was unable to move. He just kept going on himself. He then settled for a bit before going into a seizure. He was rushed to the emergency vet who couldn't figure out what was wrong. His glucose levels were incredibly low & they couldn't understand why, thought maybe he are a diabetic pill but that was not the case. They didn't want me to take him home for fear of him having another seizure. The vet finally thought he could be suffering from insulinoma & wanted to run a test to be sure. Unfortunately it was the weekend & my Maxie didn't make it for the test to be run. I didn't have them run the test because it was just too painful. This breed typically lives 12-15 years and my Maxie left us a 6. Was wondering if any other Bichon owners experienced sudden death or the death of a young Bichon.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am so sorry for your loss Jay. Take comfort that you did your best for Maxie, and even the vet could not provide all the answers. I do wonder if he might have had a pancreatic cancer, which could occur at any age, but I would only be guessing here. Give your Lab an extra cuddle, he will be missing Maxie too.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I am so very sorry for your loss. It's a terrible thing at any age, but you did what you could. Take care xx
  5. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    I'm so sorry for your loss,:(
    No-one deserves this. Part of getting a dog is accepting one day they will pass to Rainbow Bridge, to get by think of all the happy memories they will easily overcome the sad. As Elton John says "his candle burnt out long before his legend ever will". Meaning he will never be forgotten. Rest In Peace Maxie. :113:
    Jane
    xx
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sometimes there is nothing you can do, whether you know what is wrong with your beloved furkid or not. It still hurts the same, whatever age they are.

May Maxie's name be for a Blessing.
  7. JayJ

JayJ New Member

Name:
    Jay
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you all for the kind words. I take comfort in knowing that Maxie is no longer suffering & that there is a place where dog lovers can come and share their stories without ridicule or judgement.