Bichon/pros and cons Questions

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by pdberry, Feb 29, 2012.

1. pdberry

pdberry New Member

Name:
    Pat

Bichon/pros and cons

Hi, guys: Just found Dogsey. About to purchase a new puppy. Really considering a Bichon Frise. Can anybody give me the pros and cons on this breed? Also, have any of you heard about dogs that will eat cat litter? I've read that it is dangerous and I have two cats (indoor). Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    Cons:
    They need a lot of work with regards to their coat. The coat can matt very easily so they need brushed regularly, possibly every day.

They also need to be clipped roughly every 4 weeks.

As a result it can be quite expensive if you take them to a groomer.

I always dread when bichons come into the groomers, as 9 times out of 10 they are all matted. As a result of bad experiences most of the dogs are very aggressive as they have been de-matted so many times previous at other groomers. Most of them have to be muzzled.
    We usually wet shave the dogs coat.

I clipped a Bichon today and her coat came off like a sheep’s woolly coat.
  4. ailsas mum

ailsas mum New Member

Name:
    Ann
    I've got a rescue Bichon and she's the most loving dog I've ever owned, her coat does need constant attention but it doesn't take long to keep good. Please be very careful where you get your Bichon from they are a favourite with puppy farmers, my girl is an ex puppy farm girl who I got from many tears who always seem to have plenty of Bichon's to re-home. I've only had Ellie for about 8 months and she is still a work in progress as I'm sure she will be for a good while yet. If you want have a look at Puppy love to find out about puppy farming and the harm it does to dogs.
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    My Sister's one is lovely. All the ones I have met have been very nice friendly little dogs. Certainly a breed I would consider if they were any other colour apart from white! Would get too dirty where we live on walks through the heath. Met a lady with one and she said would not have another because of this.
    Need to watch teeth care-my Sister's one is about 8 and has just had 12 teeth removed. I did tell my Sister she should clean them regularly when she first got the dog as it doesn't like chewing things.
  6. Bellasmum

Bellasmum New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    My bichon is a happy friendly little dog. We get her clipped and groomed every 6 weeks and it only costs £25. We brush her every other day and it only takes 10 mins. We give her a quick bath about every 10 days. Tyere are no cons to having a bichon as far as i am concerned. Oh and no hairs all over the place!:grin:
  7. DenisaC

DenisaC New Member

Name:
    Denisa
    Bichon are nice dogs. No hair all over the place.
  8. Mucky Mutz

Mucky Mutz New Member

Name:
    angie
    Azz likes this.
    Bichons are the most friendly adorable little dog yes they have a beautiful coat which takes lots of care 5 mins a day wit a good slicker brush then 5 mins with a comb they need regular visits to the grooming salon im also a groomer and do see alot of matted ones so if ypur not prepared to look after there beautiful coat get a jack russel x
  9. Mike Maloney

Mike Maloney New Member

Name:
    MagicaL
    CaroleC likes this.
    I disagree with the white and dirty. The reason being no matter what color your coat is, it will get dirty the same. White just shows the dirt better!!! .... when me and Wiley come home and she is filthy, I get out a wet cloth and clean her up.... Yeah, you notice the dust, but I don't believe it should be a issue! ...

Teeth though on the other hand, my dog trusts my wife enough to let her scale her teeth.. she does this every so often, the dog never bites, and she gets a nice treat in the end for letting her do it ... if you know how to use a dental pick it is extremely helpful!!!