Blue Malinois Photos

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Moobli, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

ahh right I get you - the different variaties of BSD's
    They all can - or at least did appear in the same litters so really I dont see the point in breeding to a split tho - its the same dog in a different coat
    I dont agree with taking a closed gene pool and making it even smaller. I know its important to some people but I dont like it, I dont think its good for any breed in the long run
    Of course people will have preferences for different looks, so its kind of human nature that we will do things like this :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    It does get confusing, but reading up on the history does help.... the various names (Groenendael, Malinois, etc) were given to dogs of certain coat-types and colours only. The others were referred to as Belgian Shepherds of Other Colours and the only other one which was officially recognised (until 1974) was the Shorthaired Black, which was never given its own name.

So while it's convenient to think of black Shorthairs as Black Malinois (since they usually come from Mali breeding), they are more correctly Black Shorthaired Belgians, and the Blue Malinois are, by the same design, Blue-Fawn Shorthairs.

The best analogy I can think of is the West Highland White Terrier. We know it's white - it's in the name - but if, say, Black Westies ever appeared they couldn't really share the same breed name, could they?

Having come originally from a cat breeding background I can get my head around this perhaps more easily than some, as many cat breeds have separate varieties that are 'breeds in their own right' i.e. have classes and win CCs against their own colour and are not lumped together as 'one' breed competing for a single CC. There are also some varieties that have their own historical names, as in BSDs: Havanas for instance (shorthaired chocolate Oriental Shorthairs) are always chocolate - the name is reserved solely for the chocolate ones.
  4. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    I don't like it, looks strange to me. I'm not keen on blue GSD's either.
  5. TBBS

TBBS New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    I like it, but then I like blue dogs in general!
  6. one.eyed.dog

one.eyed.dog New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I like. Stunning
  7. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    oooh i like :007:
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    No, I am not a fan of blue GSDs either.
  9. tawneywolf

tawneywolf New Member

Name:
    June
    Well I am, and I used to have a blue dobie:007: :007: :007:
  10. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Well it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing :grin:
  11. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Colour aside - that is a stunning dog!
  12. PaigeJudyBently

PaigeJudyBently New Member

Name:
    Kimberly
    Ive just been searching about blue malinois and come across this discussion, i have a now 5 month old blue malinois, both of his parents were black and tans his mom ended up giving birth at the rescue centre i work at as the owner commited suicide. The litter had 10 puppies mostly dark black and tan, then there were two Blue puppies a dog and a bitch. I did an aweful lot of research to find what how and where blues came to be. It is a recessive gene that must be carried by both parents, and in that is very rare. The only associated health problem in blues is slightly sensitive skin. I find them stunning but wouldn't like to see them as the norm, they are rare and an occasional occurance and thats how i think it should stay.
  13. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Just to emphasise that there can be no such thing as a'Blue Malinois' -the name Malinois is given only to dogs that are fawn or grey with a black mask and overlay -the variety names of BSD only apply to those of very specific coat type and colour (i.e a Groenendael can ONLY be long haired black ) what you have is a blue /fawn short coat Belgian Shepherd Dog not a Malinois.
  14. Balas mum

Balas mum New Member

Name:
    natalie
    would love to see a photo of this dog from the side standing up if possible??????????
  15. PaigeJudyBently

PaigeJudyBently New Member

Name:
    Kimberly
    Im pretty sure if both his parents are Malinois that makes him a Malinois just because he is not the accepted standard. Just because a dog does not perfectly match a breed standard does notean it is no longer part of that breed.

I will get a couple of pictures of him and upload them.
  16. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Nope ....a Malinois is NOT a separate breed of dog but simply the name given to the fawn/ black masked short coated variety of the BSD breed - similarly you cannot have a blue Groenendael or a smooth coated Laekenois . For example i have bred red pups from Groenendael parents - they could not be registered as. Groenendaels even though both their parents were. The BSD is unique in being one breed split into 4 varieties based solely on very defined coat type and colour.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  17. Pep_Sounds

Pep_Sounds New Member

Name:
    Ash
    Pffft! Semantics!
    Personally I think the dog looks stunning, and if the gene pool produces it naturally, albeit rarely, and there are no health implications, then why not just enjoy it for the beautiful surprise it is?
  18. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Max von Stephanitz wrote:" The colouring of the dog has no
    significance, whatever, for service; our Shepherd Dog accordingly is not bred for colour. Colouring, therefore, is only a fad of the Amateur!"
  19. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    He was talking about GSD not BSD where coat colour and type defines the four varieties and has done since the beginning ....this link explains the history behind the classification of the BSD

http://belgiandogs.info/en/history/brief-history-of-

Here is how the breed was recognised in the 1920's

Malinois Shepherd dog
    Groenendael Shepherd dog
    Belgian Shepherd dog with fawn long hair
    Belgian Shepherd dog with fawn rough hair
    Belgian Shepherd dog with dark ash-grey rough hair

The other varieties:

Belgian Shepherd dog with short hair, other than Malinois
    Belgian Shepherd dog with long hair, other than black or fawn
    Belgian Shepherd dog with rough hair, other than fawn or dark
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  20. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Sorry bijou. I see what you mean now.
    ( Fussy Lot...You BSD Breeders! lol )
    Gorgeous Dogs though....All of them.
  21. Vellamo

Vellamo New Member

Name:
    Jenni Uski
    Sorry to breath life in this old conversation, but blue is NOT something harmless all the way. In our family has been dilute black short hair x-mal. Ears were slowly shredding, and all the weak parts of blue gene were visible. She was happy and lively dog, but finally grey/liver color mouth turned flaming pink, and dog just lost his spirit.
    So no for blue dogs, no matter how gorgeous they look.