Bolognese information General Chat

Discussion in 'Bolognese' started by xrr, Mar 26, 2008.

1. xrr

xrr New Member

Name:
    bo

Bolognese information

I am getting a dog and most probably a Bolognese. It is classified as a rare breed so not many will know what it is. It is a beautiful dog about the size of a bichon frise. It is part of the bichon fmaily (bichon frise bichon maktese bichon havanese and bichon bolognese) It is similar to a frise but has a slightly differnt face and has long shaggy fur that , unlike the bichon frise does not get cut. The bichon frise has a powder puff apperence becuse his hair gets combed and brushed severla times. If you did not cut the bichons hair or brched it as much it would be like the bolognes. www.tenderllea-bologese.com this 9is the site of tht breeder where we may get our bolognese from. Have a look and tell me what you think. And this has got to be a special dog it costs £1500! thats about three times more than a bichon frise!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I've admired Bolognese for many years. Your link doen't work though!
    Becky
  4. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    LOL must learn to read my mind went straight to spaghetti. ;-)
  5. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Saw them on Crufts, sweet looking dogs!! Must be good for that price;-)
  6. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    http://www.tenderella-bolognese.com/

They look like a responsible breeder. I can't see anything there about health tests, though, but that's something you can ask on the phone.

Good luck.
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    We board a couple of Bolognese. One is very timid the other isnt, both came from the same breeder. One has had extensive surgery for a ruptured cruciate ligament. Their coats are well, I dunno, just a bush!! The coat hasnt grown back on the dog that had the op and we boarded him 5mths post op!

Good luck with your pup.
    Dawn.
  8. xrr

xrr New Member

Name:
    bo
    wow.. board?.. what does that mean.. are they friendly dogs? would you recomend them to us we have young children (7) but he is sensible and wont annoy her.
  9. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Borderdawn has dog kennels and she meant she boarded them for clients :)

Cant say about the breed with children but no breed of dog should ever be left alone with children and may be with 7 children something a little more robust may fit the bill.
  10. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    You missed off Coton de Tulear and Lowchen, they're also considered by some to be members of the Bichon family.

If you clip a Bolognese, they very much resemble a Bichon, but with a long topknot as opposed to a curly one! ;-)

My sisters Bichon is great with her kids, very tolerant, but he does like human company, so perhaps not a good "type" of dog to have if you're going to be out a lot. Also consider the grooming costs if you're going to clip your Bolognese, and the amount of time you'll have to spend grooming if you don't!

Get ready for the yapping, that's all I'm gonna say! :lol:

Perhaps consider attending a local Championship show on toy dog day to have a look at some Bolognese and their respective breeders?

Here's Pro Dogs, they list all the forthcoming dog shows.

Good luck in finding a good breeder! :D

PS My Sister payed £750 for a good Bichon in 2006 so £1500 ain't so bad for a Bolognese! ;-)
  11. xrr

xrr New Member

Name:
    bo
    i meant youngest seven.. :)
  12. xrr

xrr New Member

Name:
    bo
    never heard of a coton de tular... me neighbour is a teacher so leaves her bichon at home all day,.. kinda unfair but at least we know if we were out for a couple of hours the dog would be okay! do bolognese act alot differnt to a bichon as my neighbours bichon isnt yappy at all!
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    My Sisters Bichon is left for about 4 hours a day and he's ok, but he does mess in the house a little bit still - a sign of anxiety I think. Or perhaps it's just revenge?! :lol:

Having only met Bolognese's when out and about I wouldn't like to say for definite if they're yappy or not, but I'd say they'd probably have a tendancy towards being yappy, being part of the Bichon family. Harvey, that Bichon I keep referring to, only yaps when you first come in (but it does go on and on and on! :lol:) and if he sees something outside or thinks he sees something outside.

There was a really good set of articles in Dogs Today last month, I'll see if I can scan them + send them to you.

Probably won't work, but I'll have a go! :lol:
  14. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Ok scratch that, the scanner's not playing tonight! :roll:

It will only let me scan and then print, rather that save to the PC. If you want to PM me your address I can post them to you instead though? :grin:
  15. debsie

debsie New Member

Name:
    Deb
    I bought my Bolognese from Tenderella last year. They were all KC reg and health tested. The aftercare we received was great too...really, really helpful. A Bolognese is a great choice!
  16. xrr

xrr New Member

Name:
    bo
    Thanks Ripsnorterthe2nd but its okay i dont wnat to cause you all that trouble!

Debsie.. wow would you recommend this dog to us considering we have children youngest age seven? And you think tenderella is a good place to buy?

Thanks everyone!
  17. debsie

debsie New Member

Name:
    Deb
    We have 2 children aged 14 and 11, they adore Elmo and Elmo loves playing with them. Bolognese are great fun and I have since met several owners some of which have younger children...I am sure that your child will have a great playmate for years to come!
    I would certainly recommend Tenderella and would suggest that you visit their website www.tenderella-bolognese.com for more info and pics.
    There is also a Bolognese show on 19th April at Watlington in Oxfordshire, you would get the oppotunity to meet lots of breeders and owners too. Visit www.bolognese.org too.
    Hope this has been of some help to you...
    I couldn't imagine life without Elmo now...Good Luck:grin:
  18. youngstevie

youngstevie

Mine too........................
    have realised now....nice dogs, although I've only seen a picture of one.:lol: