Border Advice please Grooming

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Mouse, May 23, 2011.

1. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary

Border Advice please

I have just aquired a Border Terrier who was a stray - initially thought to be quite old but once through 3 doses of wormer/a carrier bag of matted fur & a dental - he has been aged at approx 2!
    He's now had his Vaccs, got a chip & snip.
    He's an absolute darling with the cats & my chi x.

What I want to know is when does this fur stop coming out?!!! His coat is a bit bizzare having had a complete matted fur shell on his back. If I groom him daily will this just keep taking the undercoat out - (worried he will have nothing left!)...or will the coat get into its own rythm now he's been groomed?

He doesn't seem to have the blindest interest in vermin - walked past a rat 3ft away & he looked in the opposite direction & didn't even take the present the cat brought him (a live mouse!). is he a real Border??!! :lol:

When he is walked he seems to be in a complete world of his own. His nose is in absolute overdrive and I recon you could chop his leg off & he wouldn't notice.

He is currently wearing the 'cone of shame' because he was castrated on Friday - had his stitches out friday night - skin stapled on saturday - had 2 of those out saturday night!

Any Border advice would be greatly recieved,
    Thank you x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Border terriers amongst other breeds need "stripped" (not clipped) several times a year. This can eithrr be done by hand stripping or by a stripping knife, either or other is ok. Most prefer hand. Contact a groomer & emphasise your dog is to be stripped. He will look fab after it :)
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Do you have a photo please?
  5. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    Hey I'll get one up... there is a picture of him on doglost tho - around 6th may in the found section - central area.
    The pictures were before I 'sorted' him out! I did have a tentative go at stripping him once I got rid of his 'hair shell'! which pretty much lifted off him. The only scissor action was around his eyes to help him see!

I have had him advertised everywhere - dog lost, police, vets, border terrier world, dog wardens. But no-one has claimed him so he's here being looked after properly.
  6. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    Stig - looks much better now these pics were the day after I started to look after him. He looks much healthier now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  7. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    :blush: Above is my first attempt at stripping :blush: suppose you've got to start somewhere!

I really should try & get a better pic of him how he is now - can't believe how he's changed in such a short time already!
  8. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    he is lovely :)
  9. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Have you ever stripped a dog before? I really would advise you to get someone who knows how to strip to do it for you, at least for the first time.
  10. Mouse

Mouse New Member

Name:
    Hilary
    Yes someone was with me when I did it. They used to own a grooming business. She said that because of his matting his first time round wouldn't look as good as it should. I didn't hurt him if thats what you're thinking anything that didn't want to come out didn't. And as advised his sensitive parts such as under belly & face weren't touched. He actually fell asleep when I did it, and then about fell over when I stopped!
    Other than grooming - are there any typical Border characteristics that the books don't tell you about?
  11. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Hilary, what a lovely little chap :grin: I would say you have done a great job with his Stigs coat 8) .
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    He is a really nice Border!! I just wanted to make sure he was one after your description. Despite what "sellers" and the lark may tell you, Borders DO moult. Just comb the undercoat out with a metal tooth comb, do not use any of the "coat king" types on him because they ruin them. He does need stripping properly and you have made a great start. If you can get him over to me, Id happily help you and show you how to do it. :) Im in Walsall.

Have a look at my site, it will help you with grooming too. Any questions, just ask.

http://www.emblehope.co.uk/border-terriers/hand-stripping-and-grooming/
  13. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    What a handsome chap! You should see some of my first attempts at hand stripping :-s lol

Helen
  14. crazelpup

crazelpup New Member

Name:
    Jodie
    they enjoy chasing foxes & digging!
  15. crazelpup

crazelpup New Member

Name:
    Jodie
    I own and breed borders and they didnt moult, only when they were growing out of their puppy fur...
  16. lkile

lkile New Member

Name:
    Lowell
    Being a new Border Terrier owner you should get on to : "borderterrierworld.com" right away. Get answers to your questions from lots (!) of Bordr owners immediately!