Border Terrier - what size fabric crate to get? General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by borderbob, Feb 16, 2011.

1. borderbob

borderbob New Member

Name:
    Jack

Border Terrier - what size fabric crate to get?

Hi
    Can anyone advise on this - need to stop him jumping and scratching the back of car boot etc - idea: get fabric car crate - but what size?

thanks
    borderbob
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    If he's scratching then I would wonder if a fabric crate would actually stop him or whether he'd just scratch (and maybe chew) at the crate? I would probably go for a metal car crate instead
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Enough height so he can stand without his head touching the top
    Enough width so he can lay down
    Enough depth so he can turn around

Measure your dog and you should be able to work out the minimum dimensions you need :)
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Certainly the metal ones are better and will last longer. They also do offer a little protection should anything untowards occur.

Ill measure mine for you later.
  6. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    Got to agree, wouldn't recommend a soft crate for a border terrier. They escape....Size wise it really does depend on the size of your dog and the size of your boot. I think my wire crate is about 24 inchs by about 20inches. Fitted in the boot of a Renalt Clio.
  7. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have a fabric crate here brand new. I bought two I put one up and put in a puppy Welsh terrier, walked out of the room and the pup was right next to me. It was that quick to get out.
    Metal on or vari kennel is safer
  8. baillieswells

baillieswells New Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Azz likes this.
    A fabric crate is totally unsuitable for a Border Terrier, they can bite their way out. For indoors I use metal crates with proper fasteners. For in the car and when staying in hotels I use plastic crates, the airline approved type.These are lighter than metal crates. They do not scratch the inside of the car, nor do they scratch wall paper, paint etc in rooms. They are also easier to clean that metal crates.