Border Terrier Wide Ribs... Showing

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by crazelpup, Jul 11, 2011.

1. crazelpup

crazelpup New Member

Name:
    Jodie

Border Terrier Wide Ribs...

My Border Terrier bitch, Bramble is only 9 months old, and potentially looks like a great showdog. The problem is that her mum had quite wide ribs, and I am worried hers may become very wide too. At the moment I can just about fit my hands round her ribs, but Im worried she will still grow. When will her ribs stop/ have they already stopped growing, as I havent noticed any difference. Is there something we are doing wrong? I know it is mostly down to genetics, but will over-feeding be a contributing factor, she is 7kgs, and about >12". Obviously I dont want to starve her, and if there is nothing I can do, I can still use her as an Agility and HTM dog. Thanks x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    She will only mature at 9mths. Borders should be narrow and have a flat rib cage. Whilst a "blown" rib is usually genetic, it is VERY easy with over feeding to do the same. Likewise many bitches ribs will blow after they have had a litter.

Also, a Border should be ribbed well back, those that are shorter in the rib can give the look of a barrel shape too.
  4. crazelpup

crazelpup New Member

Name:
    Jodie
    thanks, also, if she still hasn't needed to be stripped at 9 months is she going to be a shorthair? Her dad was, so it is quite likely. Her fur is really short and looks as if Ive just stripped her.
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    There is no such thing as a "short haired" Border Terrier. If she looks like she has just been stripped then its most likely she has a single coat which is wrong. Sometimes you will get Borders that do not grow heavy coats which is fine, but no such thing as a short hair, they should have a double coat.
    Who is her dad?

Any pics? (of yours)
  6. crazelpup

crazelpup New Member

Name:
    Jodie
    he musnt have grown a very heavy coat, then, because he was a ch so he must have been a good breed specimen, his name was ch larcome among parruss. I may have exaggerated a little when I said she looked like she had just been stripped, but she looks how most borders look when the wire fur grows back a couple of weeks after being stripped.[​IMG]
  7. crazelpup

crazelpup New Member

Name:
    Jodie
  8. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    No she doesnt have a single coat, the long wiry stuff is the top coat, but you should be ok because the darker grizzling looks ok too. Take all those long hairs off her.

That dog is not a champion.