Border terrier-working or show type Questions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by holly10, May 3, 2010.

1. holly10

holly10 New Member

Name:
    JENNY

Border terrier-working or show type

Hi,
    I have been scanning through adverts in advance of my hope to buy a puppy when my husband retires this July. We currently have a working type labrador who is very into running and swimming. I would like a small dog that will keep up and enjoy the same and borders have attracted me. Is there a big difference between show and working types- as in labs. Also, is there a coat difference depending on line, or colours- I prefer to keep a coat on the short side, but would not want to compromise its weatherproof qualities.
    :?:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    A good Border can do both I would imagine. I'm sure Borderdawn will be along soon to advise you soon.
  4. holly10

holly10 New Member

Name:
    JENNY
    Hi Westie_N

Thank you for you reply. Having always had rescued labs and spaniels, terriers are new to me. Its just that my lab likes terriers and I was looking to have a puppy this time so it won't be so easy to do a compatability personality check.
  5. astle9

astle9 New Member

Name:
    Andy
    I have a border and i did not know there were show or working borders, mine works all the time, he guards, warns and can basically be on the go all day without a hint of tiredness, we have a fast moving lurcher/springer cross and although he obviously is not as fast he is never far behind when we move, he runs well when my partner takes him running and is never short of breath.
    I handstrip him myself which you need to take into account as not many dog groomers will do it and if so they charge a lot and the only way to do real damage to a borders coat is to clip it as it loses its waterproofing, you sound like an outdoor kind of person which is ideal IMHO for the breed.
    Our old boy Jacob was a lab cross and he and my border were so close so the breeds sound ideal for each other.
    Hope it works out well.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    There should be no difference between show and working type Borders they are the same. They are not split like in labs or Spaniels.

The coat should be double, soft undercoat, harsh topcoat. It will require stripping as it grows thick and long. There is no such thing as a short coated Border, only one with a very poor coat if its short all the time.

In my opinion there are no identifiable "lines" that are known to produce "bad" coats, of course there can be an odd one anywhere, but Id have to say if you got one you would be unlucky.

Anything else, ask away. :)