Border Terriers...what are they like then? General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Ramble, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble

Border Terriers...what are they like then?

Then ones we've met have been characters...feisty but fun!!! :lol: Is that accurate?
    Any info gladly received, we are exploring all options at the moment...:002: :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Bloody nuisances, I wouldnt have one!!
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Tell me what you want to know. ;)
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I think my sister would agree with that sentence at the moment :lol:
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    LOL! they have their moments, wouldnt be without them for the world though!
  7. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I know people who have FCRs and Border Terriers (as you know) just wondered what you thought of the pairing? Would a Flat Coat squish a Border Terrier in one of it's more stupid moments? (The FCRs not the Terriers!!!!)
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Not a chance, Borders are rough and tumble dogs, great with bigger dogs, I have friends that have Borders with Dobermanns, Irish Wolfhounds and Irish Setters. They were bred to be around Foxhound pack, they are irrepressible!!:mrgreen:

You going to Crufts?
  9. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Yep....on the Saturday...almost was doing Discover Dogs myself this year but can't make the day!!!!!
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Come and see me, you have have Orey, free, take him home and if it doesnt work out in a year or so (must give it time) Ill have him back!! Deal? :mrgreen:
  11. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    you see you so don't mean that as you love him to bits!!!!! I am flattered that you wuold even joke about entrusting his care to me though! ;) :)
    You there on the Saturday? Don't tell me I may actually get to meet you at long last?!
  12. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    LOL - this really made me laugh. My sister's border terrier has played with Yogi, who must be ten times her size and she always gets the better of him :grin: You wouldn't have anything to worry about on that score.

Are you seriously considering a BT for your household, Ailsa? :)
  13. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    We are looking to add to the brood. :002:
    At the moment we are considering a few things, a Border Terrier pup being one of them, the others being a springer (but oH isn't keen), or a rescue FCR (we're on the list) or a FCR pup (know fo a few litters that would be LOVELY) or a retired or not quite made the grade Guide Dog (we are on the GSD list)...so we are looking into all options. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: We would also consider the right rescue pup.

It is about matching the right dog/pup to the household, we have our son and Cosmo to consider so it is a tricky one,I trust the Guide Dog people and FCR rescue people to only suggest the right type of dog for us, but we could be waiting a long time....it's a tough one.

I am leaning towards an older dog as we are a bit puppied out...but if the right pup came along of a breed we like....
    We are considering Borders and Springers (although OH doesn't want the latter) because they are smaller...a Border is the only small breed I would seriously consider, although my oH and son want a corgi! :shock:

Decisions decisions...but such nice ones!!!!!! We will know when it is the right dog..
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    What an exciting time. Obviously I think it would be GREAT if you got a GSD :) But if not, a border terrier is a reasonable substitute ;-) They are about the only small dog I would consider too!

I will watch with interest :)
  15. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Well I know of a lady who has a rotties with Borders and they get on great she hasn't been squished yet!! in fact think she rules the rottis! the only negative thing I have heard about Borders is there recall? they don't come back but whether that is true don't know :) :)

That's very different though for you A :) :)
  16. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    It is...
    I love my Flat Coats you see (I'm guessing no one has spotted that) and the only thing stopping us is the size....hmmmm.
    I think a Border would have a very different personlaity...but still fun?
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well what can I say? Borders are FAB!! I was bought up with labradors and crossbreeds, have also had Dobermanns before a JRT and now the Borders, would NOT have another large dog, seriously. HUGE personality, fabulous characters, great "pals" for kids, outgoing, fun loving, ideal size, just great little dogs!

Upsides:
    Great size, you can lie on the sofa and still see the TV when the dog walks past!:mrgreen:

Borders will not block the TV remote signal. (see above)

Fun loving, up for anything, happy go lucky.

Lap dogs if you want, not if you dont!

Wonderful company, adore humans and will live happily with other animals too if introduced properly.

Usually great with other dogs, none argumentative as a rule.

Downsides.
    TERRIER!! Border chases and catches Bunny, Cosmo brings it back to mummy!! :mrgreen: Unless Border shreds it first!!:roll: then Cosmo beings shredded Bunny back!!! :002: :mrgreen:

Strong hunting instinct, can be managed without issue with training and patience.

Need hand stripping at least twice a year. (very theraputic :002: )

Borders do NOT need harsh correction, a raised voice will be more than enough, they respond badly to harsh treatment. (plus the fact you probably cant catch the buggars!! :mrgreen: )

Doubt I will ever have another breed, and certainly wont have another big dog. Border will fit in well with most breeds, but complimentary breeds seem to be Gundogs and Lurcher types.
  18. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    You know I had just said that to my OH this morning!!! Especially after Cosmo's deafness around the rabbits at the weekend. he just isn't fast enough to catch them but a Border would be and Cosmo would feel obliged to bring it to us!!!! What a partnership......:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the non blocking of TV as Cosmo is good at standing in front of it...

What about mud though..do they like mud?
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Not really, the coats are great, it falls off, mine have NEVER had a bath!
  20. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    2 questions...how are they for people with allergies/ are they protective of their people at all?
    i've always liked their spunk and have met a few :D
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    In all my experience I can 100% say they are totally useless at "protecting" anyone! They will bark if somebody knocks the door, but upon arrival will be loved to death.

Not sure about allergies, although they have a wirey top coat, their undercoat is soft and fluffy.