Border Terriers...what are they like then? General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Ramble, Jan 24, 2009.

1. shiba

shiba New Member

Name:
    kirstie
    I had never met one up until a few months ago when i started my dog grooming course. I have now handstripped a few, and have to say they are lovely.

They seem very "steady" dogs and they are a firm favourite with our teacher who has hand stripped hundreds.

Alot of different breed dogs get dropped off with us every week at college and they are nervous but bt seem to take everything in the stride, and don't get stressed with us newbie's, infact they seem very loving to us strangers.
    I really like them:lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Make no mistake, a "stable" Border is one that is correctly exercised and a mind kept active. Wind them up and they are like a bottle of pop!! They can quickly become a problem with their working instincts taking over if they are not worked on all the time. But in the right hands, they are just fab!!
  4. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
    id like to see the different coat colours could anyone help ? :grin:
  5. pjkobulnicky

pjkobulnicky New Member

Name:
    Paul
    Just a quick BT story about BT energy. My dog Jack's best dog friend is a Whippet of the same age (18 months). They run together constantly when they are together in the local "forest". At first, Jack is usually many steps behind the Whippet but he never stops and when the Whippet gets tired (she's a sprinter), Jack will pick up a stick (stick keep-away is Jack's favorite game) and goad her into running some more ... where Jack's stamina and ability to cut on a dime leaves the whippet gasping for straws and breath.

I have also trained Jack to "heel" when I ride a bicycle and we have done 10 miles with only a mid-point stop for some water. With him, I ride at about 8 miles an hour. He loves it.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
  7. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I love the dark and red grizzles, lovely :D
  8. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
    Me too :grin: infact i like them all i want one of each :lol:
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    It has to be dark or red grizzle for me :) They are all gorgeous though.

Have you gone off getting a collie now Melzy?
  10. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
    No i was dog sitting for a collie all day sunday,and he didnt switch off once i was shatterd:shock: ,and my shoulder was killing me throwin toys next TWO DAYS! :lol: but i didnt want to take him home, his name was snoop :grin:,i might not have my second part time job for much longer so thought it might be wiser to get a smaller dog and borders are only ones i would have as im not a wee dog person,but after sunday im confused:roll: :lol:
  11. Roofs

Roofs New Member

Name:
    Lots
    What a FAB thread! We picked up our BT dog a week and a half ago and he’s fab, only 9 weeks old but so clever, he mastered sit in a couple of hours and this morning he was doing it at a distance! I had a week off work last week and I had a major stress that he just wasn’t getting toilet training at all, back to work on Monday and lo and behold he’s figured it out and I’m sure he pop’s off for a wee just to get a treat! :D

He’s also been fab to leave for a few hours and is so friendly, when people come to say hello he’s taken to climbing out my arms and into theirs for a cuddle!

I’ve spoken to a few vets and they’re said that of the terrier’s Borders are the ones they would go for, I think if anyone knows about the tricky side of a dog’s character it would be a vet!

My other half, who was less keen on getting a dog (ok, I railroaded him into it!) is totally smitten, the puppy smell has got him hooked!

The only problem we have is he’s a bit wimpy about the cold or the wet and is not too keen on walking around the stables in the morning but happy enough in the evening, he does have to stop and say hello to EVERYONE though! He’s a total tart!

Sadly he’s not registered but I would like to do agility with him in the future :D
  12. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    This is Rosie. Taken a few weeks ago so need to get some more recent ones onto photobucket:

[​IMG]

She's my first BT although I've met many of them in the past and always been impressed by their friendly and amenable nature. Gorgeous, energetic and mischievous little dogs that, if brought up correctly, are unflappable.

Love 'em to bits (especially my own little girlie)
  13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Rosie is gorgeous, Brierley :)