Both dogs won't eat Questions

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Tiffany.riha, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany

Both dogs won't eat

New situation.....i have a 10 month old Siberian husky and also a 2 year old weimaraner. I've noticed the past 3 days nether of them have touched their food. I haven't made any changes to their food.... But they won't eat. They drink, they play, they act normal not losing any weight. They accept hand outs with no problem and still beg at the dinner table...im just dumbfounded on why neither of them are eating their food.

I washed out their bowls and gave them a fresh bowl yesterday thinking that maybe there was a scent in their bowl that they didn't like.

They don't seem sick or lethargic in any way.

I might add that the weather has changed, the past 3 -4 days it's dropped from 80s to 40s-50s. Sometimes high 30s at night. I've read that winter months should make them eat more though? Not sure if the weather change would be the culprit?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    My only suggestion is to just stop giving the hand outs. Ignore any begging at the dinner table - no hand outs, no treats, no bones, and definitely nothing from your dinner table.

As for washing their bowls, do you not wash them each time after they have eaten? Are your dogs pee'ing and poo'ing as normal?

I do not know if the change in the weather would have anything to do with it - perhaps too many hand outs, too many treats/bones/food when begging has something to do with it?

If your dogs are drinking, playing as usual, do not appear sick or lethargic, are you sure that they are not getting enough food from the hand outs/treats etc? Cut those out completely and see what happens.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    I would stop giving them titbits, put down their food if its not eaten within 10mins pick it up and leave till next feed is due.
  5. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany

They don't get a lot of handouts or treats....and are never fed from the dinner table, I was only making the point that they still beg at the dinner table. (A normal daily occurance) Yesterday I offered a treat just to see if they would eat ANYTHING, because It had been 2 days that they hadn't eaten anything including treats.

I wash their bowls after each meal, however I have a 2 yr old boy that I watch along with my 2, so I gave it an extra wash and fresh food in case the kids had done something to their food that they didn't like.

One thing I've never done is taken their bowls away. I feed them and they eat everything in one sitting so the next meal I take up their bowls and wash for their feeding. I never saw the point in removing empty bowls lol.
  6. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany

Also they are peeing and poo'ing normal. No diarreha no vomiting. I actually just played with them for about 20 min, and don't seem abnormal in any way.
  7. aliamay

aliamay New Member

Name:
    aliamay
    If you find any problems you will be need to change their living way.. Change your dog cages and separate them for few days ... if your problem not solve then you need to go to the doctor....
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do you leave your own plates after eating and only wash them for the next time they are needed?
  9. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany
    Chris B likes this.
    They have a stand that their bowls sit in.....and their bowls are always freshly washed before they eat so they have clean bowls......im not understanding the issue here?
  10. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try separating them and see if that makes a difference. I have an appointment scheduled for Tomorrow. Well see what the vet thinks. I'm just lost on why all of sudden both would act this way. There haven't been any changes in the household or routines.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The "issue" is that you say you are concerned about your dogs and yet you have small children around and leave unwashed dog bowls where the children could possibly/probably could get to them.

And that is what concerns me, more than the fact that your dogs are not eating at the moment as your dogs do not appear to be starving.
  12. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany

Well for one......my children are well behaved and do not mess with their bowls.....i stated that there could have been a chance that they may have put something in yet. It is not something that they ever play with or mess with. But very well could be a possibility that this one time they did something and maybe that could be the reason why dogs are not eating. But apparently that wasn't the issue. , and for 2, there is nothing about an empty dog bowl that could possibly harm a child. You can keep your comments about my parenting to yourself.
  13. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany

Oh yeah and not to mention the fact that my children are supervised 24/7. Maybe you would propose removing the water bowl too...and only allow them to drink at certain times of the day, and then take it away after a few minutes......you know for the sake of the children. Either you don't have children and are completely and utterly judgemental not having the experience to corroborate your "concerns" or if you are a parent, your one who is entirely too overly protective.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I apologise if my comments upset you. Yes I am a parent and a grandparent, and I am not and was not being judgemental about your parenting skills. But you also said that you look after a two-year-old boy as well as your own two children, so looking after them plus your two dogs must be very time consuming.

My concern is hygiene. Both for your dogs and your children. Because leaving unwashed bowls and dishes attract flies. And flies bring diseases.
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Just a though, but have you started a new bag of dog food in the past 4 or 5 days?
  16. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Doesn't look like this user will be back but Chris makes a good point. One time neither Nigredo nor Jade would touch food from a bag I got. It was off or something and they knew it. I returned it for a different bag and they ate it just fine.

This thread wasn't about her children and the tangent about a dog bowl wasn't really necessary. I leave my dogs bowl down too. Unlike you Malka, he doesn't have juicy meat and stuff in the bowl. He eats DRY food and so the bowl doesn't attract flies etc.

For you leaving the bowl down would have remnants of raw meat and stuff which is of course a hygiene risk for small children, but dry food diets wouldn't have this issue and there really is no concern. Just something to maybe consider.

In addition, judging by those temperature swings I think she's in the USA. Flies really aren't a disease threat to people here even if a few get in. You're unlikely to catch anything from them. Perhaps this is different where you live. When we BBQ or really do anything outside, there are tons of flies. People catching fly borne diseases is unheard of down here though.
  17. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany
    Thank you guys so much,for your replies. I'm thinking it was a combination of the weather and maybe they were trying to be picky on their food. About 2 days after I posted this thread they started eating again once it warmed up a little. I did change their food after they finished their bag. I stuck with the same brand but changed flavors. They seem to be doing fine now.

And yes I am from the United States. I hadn't realized that she was from another country. Thank you for having my back on that issue. I felt it was very unnecessary for her to make comments on my kids when my post was I. Fact about asking for advice on my dogs.
  18. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Malka likes this.
    Malka is a nice member and was merely concerned and did not mean harm. I was just trying to perhaps clear a few things up. Glad your dog is better now!
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am from England. But basic hygiene, especially where dogs and small children are concerned, should be the prime concern.

Oh, and my name is Juli - or Malka if you prefer to use my user name. Not "she".
  20. Markie Paige

Markie Paige New Member

Name:
    Markie Paige
    Woodzy likes this.
    Huskies go days without eating that's not a problem she is probably coming into her first season but even if she isn't it's not that uncommon for them to not eat for a few days they can survive I'm very little. The other dog just sounds like a follow wants to do what your Husky is doing.
  21. Woodzy

Woodzy New Member

Name:
    Woodzy
    I would not put food down for two days. Then once times up put it down. They should soon dive in. Specifically if u feed dry as I do. Good luck