Breed for Working Trials? General Chat

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by Wozzy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I like BMH's but generally wouldnt consider a hound except for hunting purposes simply because they are not as given to obedience as other breeds are.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Is there a particular reason you dont want another collie or is it just that you fancy a change?
  4. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    sorry not got time to read all the way through (shame - interesting thread!)

Are you aiming for the top?
    Set your priorities and then pick?
    So weighing up if you are sacrificing looks etc?
  5. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    :lol: that made me laugh alright
  6. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
  7. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    There is a dobe with UDex in Edinburgh so they can work but as smokeybear said you would be hard pushed to find one of ONLY working lines (though apparently one kennel does exist in the UK)
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    How long did it take for Yvonne to get that UDex?

John Fleet made up 2 WT Ch in Dobes as did Harry Derbyshire, but I cannot remember the last time I saw a Dobe in ticket.............. I certainly have not tracklayed, stewarded, or judged one for years..........
  9. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I'm not a collie fan TBH, they can have many behaviours which I dont like. Plus, i've been around collie types all my life so I guess I do fancy a change.

I think aiming for the top when i've never done WT before would be a big ambition so i'm not necessarily aiming for that. I'd like to get reasonably far but I think my ambitions would rise the more I achieved.
    I dont think i'm willing to budge on the looks department. I'm not a competative person so my desire to get results wouldnt override my desire to own a breed I like the look of.
  10. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    But then they arent popular in general now either are they. How many do you even see walking down the street..

As you said you will not find dobes bred soley from working lines. (you will find a lot come soley from show lines though) Even in 'Euro Dobes' it looks like someone would be pushed....that dosnt mean there isnt a single kennel in the world couldnt produce a dobe fit to work?

Hence why I asked Q's...

I dont know if dobes were ever popular in WT's?
    I know that there were plenty with Sch III,IPO etc back in the 80's and 90's - but again, not sure about here I only know this due to my boys pedigree and looking around online.....still some with IPO but tbh I dont really know the differences! (I know WT's and Schutzhund differences but not the whole IPO thing, only know lots only go as far as IPO I by the looks of it to breed (or am I assuming wrong reasons for this?)
  11. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Thats why I was asking. I think if its a dobe you would rather have then get one (or whatever else you decide) and you can still train for WT's either way. Get a dog that you dont like but is great at the trials then you still wont be 100% happy with your choice.....just the way I would think of it :) No-one but you can decide though!! Lucky you getting another!
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Used to be quite a few in WT, I was with one ex dobe owner today at a training event, she now has a GSD.

IPO = Schutzhund = VPG just other names for same thing.

Yes some people get the minimum in order to be able to use German stud dogs etc.
  13. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I know that dobes were subject to fashion at a point etc etc but if the people who had keen dobes that worked well had been breeding (well) from them do you think we would still have so few in WT's (and Schutzhund too)?

If you look back through the photos you can find online etc they also seem to have changed a lot in the show world...and as they have the work side seems to have slid away....only what I observe online and IMO of course.

Why do they use these different names? Is it to do with the country?

EDIT; I also notice that kennels (abroad) seem to get the IPO then move straight into showing and breeding them. Why dont more seem to want to progress, as the dogs are only very young at this point. I have found them getting IPO I and show Ch just before two years and breeding.....Does this seem the same in GSD's?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
  14. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    What she said!! :grin:
  15. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Yes and no. You have to remember that on the Continent several breeds (not just working or pastoral but including gundogs) MUST achieve a working qualification before they are are allowed to be registered with their KC and/or to be bred from.

So show line dogs will get the minimum qualiification and then concentrate on other things.

The same applies to some extent with GSD, having seen some show GSD coming to clubs with "qualifications" obtained abroad we often wonder how they got them...................... ;)
  16. LewisHadley

LewisHadley New Member

Name:
    Lewis

Just Feel Like Pointing Out, My Name Is Lewis Mitchell Hadley And I Am The Son Of Terry's Eldest Daughter Lara, Which, Obviously, Makes Terry Hadley My Grandad :) I Have Hundreds Of Pictures That I COuld Post If People Would Like, Including One Of The Queen's Mother With The Labrador She Purchased From My Grandad :) I Hope To Speak With My Grandad's Fans More PLEASE Contact Me People :D