Breeders - reputable breeders Questions

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by Ceefer, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam

Breeders - reputable breeders

Having read up on info I am inclined to be swayed towards a golden retriever for our next family member. The important words in that sentence being family member Needless to say to get this I want to find reputable breeders who breed first for health and temperament. Having lost a dog at a young age due to poor health it is not something we are eager to repeat.

So my "wish list" if you like is the following
    Solid temperament
    As healthy as possible
    Calm in the house
    Preferably lighter in colour (altho obvioulsy the above are far more important)

Can anyone advise of any good, reputable breeders either on this thread or via pm? (apologise if this is not allowed)
    I live in NW England and would be willing to travel 3 hours or so for the perfect family member
    Thanks in advance
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I know someone who is an assured breeder of GR, and is planning a litter early this year, she is in Staffordshire.

Her dogs have fab temperaments, and are light in colour.

Calm in the house ...sorry, cant help you there, thats something that comes with maturity and training from you.
  4. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam
    Thanks, as for the calm in the house bit, the reason I put this in is because people have suggested that some are calmer than others????

I am no stranger to big dogs and spend lots of my time training them, and was frequently compiamented on how well behaved and how much time I spent on training so this doesnt worry me at all. It is one of the things I enjoy doing with my dogs.

Would you be able to pm their details??
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    you will have to give me a few hrs, to get the phone number (not sure if she has a web site.

in fact I also know of another, my next door neighbour has two, and they are fab dogs. will give her a knock too if you like to see if her breed (also not to far away) is planning any litters.

Whats your time scale/
  6. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam
    Time scale very up in the air to be honest. Not for another few months - poss september time. Thought it was worth looking into breeders over the next 6 months then hopefully would be able to find something suitable
  7. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    I have a Golden Retriever and he was,nt calm in the house till he got to about 1year. You just need a good sense of humor.

I know a breeder in Surrey but probably a bit too far for you.

I met 4 Golden retriever puppies today at dog training, I wanted to steal all of them - they were so sweet.:grin:
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Your first port of call should be the breed club(s) as their members are required to adhere to their code of ethics/conduct which are often more stringent than that of the KC.

http://www.thegoldenretrieverclub.co.uk/

http://www.nwgrc.co.uk/

The above are links to the national and north west GR clubs, if you get in touch with their secretaries they will be able to point you in the right direction.

THe GR Breed Council is responsible for ensuring all the clubs are au fait with latest developments, you can find health news on here.

http://www.goldenretrievers.co.uk/

The KC Assured Breeder scheme states that the following is required to be carried out on breeding stock

1) Hip scoring 2) Eye testing

The Breed Mean Score for hips (total) is 18
    The Median is 12

The KC recommend that breeders should choose
    breeding stock with hip scores WELL BELOW the Breed Mean Score (BMS) and ideally below the Median for their breed

The following is recommended to be carried out on breeding stock

1) Elbow grading (this should be 0)
    2) Bitches under 18 months not to produce a litter
    3) Bitches not to produce more than one litter within a
    12-month period

HTH
  9. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    A friend of mine in Yorkhire breeds Goldies and welsh she health tests for everything. Not sure if she's planing a litter but should think she is as I know she wants a puppy to campaign next year. Theres tend to be lighter as well.
  10. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam
    Thank you to for your replies. Those links will be invaluable I am sure. If it would be ok would people mind pm me with the details of breeders? That way as and when the time comes we will be able to contact these people and maybe ask to be put on their waiting lists