Breeding questions Questions

Discussion in 'Poodle (Toy)' started by Dusty Dawg, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Dusty Dawg

Dusty Dawg New Member

Name:
    SDDM

Breeding questions

Have questions on using my male for breeding
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to Breedia SDDM. I take it you have a male Toy Poodle.
    Go ahead and ask whatever you want to know - you will get friendly but honest answers on this site.
  4. Dusty Dawg

Dusty Dawg New Member

Name:
    SDDM
    Thank you CaroleC..I have someone wanting to use mate my male with her female. Dusty is very mild mannered, calm and sweet. Will this change his attitude?
  5. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Likely not a dog's core temperament is was it is. However he could be more likely to want to breed in the future. This could cause issues. If you keep him properly contained and don't have him around females in heat you shouldn't have much to worry about. Most males will become more interested though. So just be aware.

Make sure they test their female for STDs and have completely all of genetic health testing. That's something you should have done too.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz and Dusty Dawg like this.
    Toy Poodles are a really great breed, so lively, intelligent and eager to learn.

First the downsides, have you checked which health certificates he should have before being used at stud? I do know that cataract can be a problem in the breed, there may well be others. If you are in the UK, it might be a good move to have a look at the Kennel Club website to see which health tests they recommend. (There is probably a description on this site too - have a look under Toy Poodles in the breed section). Remember that more and more people are becoming aware that they should only buy from health tested parents these days.

As a pet dog, being used at stud is unlikely to alter his basic loving nature, except, as Ezee says, to make him rather more interested in the opposite sex. I have had males that began to territory mark after starting a stud career - jackets hung over chairs and floor length curtains were particular favourites!
    Another problem you might encounter is that as he has lived as a pet dog, relating to humans, and might not have the motivation to 'do the deed', - this is more common than you might think in small dogs.

Then the upside, you clearly love your boy, and I suspect you would also love one of his puppies. This is such a natural feeling, as is the pride that someone likes him enough to want to use him. I would say, do your own homework, and check that the bitch owner has done their health testing too. If so, then go ahead, but do not let your boy be used to sire another backyard litter.
  7. Dusty Dawg

Dusty Dawg New Member

Name:
    SDDM
    Thanks to both of you, The info will be very helpful should I decide to go through with it. Or rather let him go through with it. I, as a pet parent would love to have one of his off spring. Another concern, he just turned 10 and is in very good health, but at what age should you NOT let them stud? I read somewhere that mid to older is the best for breeding. Is there any truth to this?
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    You will need to get him vet checked. They will tell you if he is still capable of producing or not. They will collect him and visually check the sperm if he is still producing any.
    I wanted to do a breeding to a dog around that age but his few sperm were floaters. But I know dogs 12, 13, 14 producing too. Though I will tell you one thing that can make a difference is a dog could go sterile younger if they haven't been bred. Dogs actively being bred generally produce later into age.
  9. Dusty Dawg

Dusty Dawg New Member

Name:
    SDDM
    Great! He goes in for his check up soon, I'll talk to his vet about it. Again, thank you! Your help is very much appreciated.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Just one little additional thought. If your primary reason for using him at stud, (he does look a little sweetie), is to have a closely related puppy, see which is the most predominant bloodline in his pedigree, and contact that breeder. The Kennel Club, or the breed club, may help you if you supply the kennel affix. There is more than a slim chance that they will have continued the bloodline with related dogs. As my current male (Beagle) is a rescue, and has therefore been neutered, this is what I am planning to do.
    Good luck, whatever you decide.
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz