Breeze is a proper Gundog now! :) General Chat

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Misty-Pup, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x

Breeze is a proper Gundog now! :)

Breezie-Puppa had her first day out on the moor on Saturday, she went beating with OH & Hamish.

We didn't plan to have her out this early, but all the others were cream-crackered from Thursday and Friday so OH decided to take Breeze. It was only a small day and he could let Hamish hunt and concentrate on Breeze.

He said she hunts like a demon! He's never seen anything like it!! He also had the cheek to say when she was 'properly trained' she'll be amazing! I said it's not so much that she isn't properly trained, we just need to do some fine tuning! And now that she's been out I can see where I need to put in more or slightly less work!

She had her second day out with me today, Blade was a little poorly over the weekend so I decided to leave him home and took Breeze out, just so she can see what picking up is about! She didn't pick anything, but had a good hunt around, walked nicely to heel when we were getting lined out, sat patiently whilst the drive was in progress and didn't attempt to steal from any of the other dogs!!

I've got high hopes for this little girl! :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    Way to go Breeze :grin: :grin: Not seen any pics for a while have we hum.......
  4. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Sorry!! My iPhone is broken and I forget to take the camera out on walks! And I'm absolutely not taking the camera on the moor! I'd lose it and OH would kill me! :)

I'll try to remember to take the camera with me! Sorry! :)
  5. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Brilliant. Well done Breeze.

What do you need to work on?

Helen
  6. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    I think it's things that will come right with time, she's only young and I can't expect her to be foot perfect.

She was lively when I first popped the lead on when we were walking out and was all over the place, but then by the middle of the day she was walking to heel on a lead and by the end of the day, she was walking free next to me.

She needs to hunt a bit more independently, she follows Misty quite a lot, but this will come when she's been out a bit more and I don't mind her doing it, if it's going to get her more confident with herself. I think it'll be easier when I start picking up on the pheasants as they'll be more game for her to pick.

I really can't fault her based on yesterday though, she's much better than I could ever have imagined her to be! Really really pleased with her, she's a cracking little dog!! :)
  7. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Sounds like she is coming along really well.

It might be worth taking her out on her own for hunting training i'm not sure about gsps, but some hprs do have problems getting out, away from the handler. However, it does depend whether you are going to use her as an hpr, or a spaniel, which a lot of people do.

Helen
  8. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    Breeze is my springer pup, Moss is the gsp, he hasn't been out yet, still a work in progress, although he's ticking along nicely!

OH took Breeze beating today and he said she was loads better than Saturday!
    She retrieved 2/3 grouse to hand, walked with him and her hunting pattern was better! Ohh, I do love her!

Will keep updating as to how she gets on! (and will try and get some pics when we're on a walk!)

I'm bringing Moss on slowly, I'm terrified of him becoming like other GSP's on the estate, they quite happily eat game in front of the guns and I just don't trust him not to do that yet!! He might go beating a bit later on in the season with OH just to see what it's all about! I've got too on with the others when I'm picking up to take him out with me yet, I'm trying to iron out a few creases with the established team just now!! :lol:
  9. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Woohoo go Breeze :grin:

Jet and Copper have their first rough shoot this coming season I'm hoping they behave themselves!!! :lol:
  10. Misty-Pup

Misty-Pup New Member

Name:
    Sarah x
    I'm sure they'll be fine! I want to hear all about it!! :D

Mine were really naughty today, just completely ignoring me, I could've murdered them all!!!! And Harley's latest trick is to steal already picked grouse from the butts!! I just hang my head in shame and put them back on the butt!!
    Misty was the only good one, but then she usually always is! I'm really cracking down on it, I don't want robot dogs, but I'm not tolerating bad behaviour!! The main things I'm working on with them is getting out the truck nicely, not just piling out, they are to wait until told they can jump out and not mauling me when we are sat waiting during a drive, they are to sit/lie down around me and just chill!! I'll let you know who's still alive after tomorrow!! :lol:
  11. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Ohhhhhhhh :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: sorry lol!

Helen
  12. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    She sounds like such a little smasher xxx