Brief history and pics (Pit Bull) General Chat

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by Bulldogs4Life, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Sue Staffy likes this.

Brief history and pics (Pit Bull)

Pit dogs have been around for centuries. Certainly dog fighting & animal baiting has existed world wide since ancient times. The predecessor to the American Pit Bull Terrier were European fighting dogs. There is documentation of dog fights in England in the 1700s. These were organized pit contests. The history of the APBT begins with these dogs and pit dogs of surrounding areas.
    In the 1800s these dogs were brought to America. Accompanying immigrants or sent by for those who had already come over. Others were not immigrants bringing over their own dogs but breeders importing individuals as is still done today with foreign breeds.

Here are some of the early dogs. This will only include a small number of photos from 1800s or early 1900s. Including English & Irish imports.

[​IMG]
    Grand Champion Henry's Richmond (imported)

[​IMG]
    The Gas House Dog aka McDonald's Grip
    31lbs Brindle & White

[​IMG]
    Champion Charlie's Pilot (imported) His owner had been importing pit dogs since 1854.
    28lbs Brindle & White

[​IMG]
    Grand Champion Galvin's Pup another little brindle dog

[​IMG]
    Colby's Galtie a little Red & White
    Colby's Galtie born of Irish import parents he is the sire of Champion Tudor's Fighting Peter who was the 1st UKC pit fighting champion. Fighting Peter's dam was Colby's Nancy.
    [​IMG]
    Fighting Peter himself 33-34lbs Brindle

[​IMG]
    King Paddy son of the well known son Delihant's Paddy. King Paddy took first at a Bull Terrier bench show as at that time the AKC had not recognized the breed so they were registered as Bull Terriers. Paddy is descended from CH Pilot

[​IMG]
    Colby's Tige 2xw a son of CH Colby's Paddy and Colby's Jennie 1xw (an inbred daughter of GR CH Galvin's Pup 10xw)

[​IMG]
    Parren's Dolly female from the early 1900s 25lbs
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Interesting how compact these pups were. I mean light in weight...think Callie's had too many treats. But slighter in build than some of today's dogs. It makes sense, they were bred as professional sporting dogs. A beefy chest certainly affects speed and balance. Great pictures!
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    They should be lean and balanced.
    [​IMG]
  5. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    [​IMG]
    See compared to that picture Callie looks almost porky
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    For most dogs extra weight is just from over feeding. So you can try a diet & of course exercise.
  7. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I'm considering one of those dishes that slows them down a bit. He bolts his food, and the weather here has been keeping us from taking long walks. So maybe cut back on his food a bit until we can get regular walkies in again.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Yup just reduce his food.
    I week be glad when this winter weather is gone that's for sure.
  9. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Most likely I will be the unpopular post.

But as written
    From actually looking and read several theories I would be more toward the offspring of Mastiff and Bullenbeissers which where brought to England in 1066 by the invading Normans, which where breed with the Bulldog, that in truth created the modern bully breeds.
  10. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Not unpopular it's possible. But other breeds would have been added along the way. Pit dogs were a type originally like a lot of dogs & not a pure breed so they might have a lil something different from strain or family.

When I had Boxers and researched into their history I saw a resemblance of some Bullenbeissers to Pits. I also saw an incredibly different look to early Boxer. One much more to my preference.

I'm not real sure on mastiff though it's possible they are an earlier ancestor or predecessor to the pure EM & such. Size can be lost after a few generations. We have a huge possibility to manipulate dogs though breeding.

The original bull dogs of England & other bull dogs could almost certainly fit in some where in their ancestry. You can see variation in bulldogs back then in size & build too.

Some say the original Alano Espanol plays a role too. You certainly see a huge resemblance. (I see features between them & Bullenbeisser too)

Though who knows. As we can't know with certainty.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  11. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Whole heartedly agree with there are so many add in breeds to the current bully types, that it is impossible to know.
  12. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I don't know zoo about breed lines but just a question. In the new Dog Fancy they profile the Dogo. It was interesting that the behavior seemed to describe Callie completely...the protectiveness, the way he roams the house checking rooms, even walking beside or ahead of me at all times. In public he puts himself between me and any noise, even cars and trucks. Is it possible he might have Dogo in there?
  13. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Anything is possible but probably not.
    I've had same of my dogs Caucasian Ovcharka most especially, very much like that. Some Pit Bulls will put themselves between owner & threats too. I've heard of Am Bulldog which act exactly like what you are describing. My Malinois used to have to check things periodically & I swore that dog didn't know what sleep means because he would patrol all night. Lots of traits are shared by various breeds.