British Bulldog advice please... Questions

Discussion in 'Bulldog' started by teenytiny, Jul 19, 2010.

1. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*

British Bulldog advice please...

I got myself a British Bulldog baby yesterday. I have wanted one for over 10 years, and have read up on the breed on and off for years.

I am a bully breed owner already, I have 7 American Bulldogs, an Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, an EBT, and a couple of crosses. Never had a British before though!

I've read up on the obvious about them, but I'd love some advice from actual owners themselves if possible. Is there anything you can recommend / advise about the breed? Anything you would warn people about? How are they different to other breeds? Is there any care they need that is different to other breeds?

Just after general advice really as opposed to their background, origin etc that I already know about.

Many thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Care is different to other breeds yes.

Bums wiped after number twos to prevent sores forming underneath tails & faces must be wiped daily ( I used to use simple wet wipes - obviously non scented) and then sudocrem wiped in between folds & wrinkles. Vaseline also wiped on nose to stop the skin cracking.
  4. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Ohh a bully - looking forward to seeing pics:grin:

I agree with Nicci's post about keeping the folds of skin clean and using vaseline on the nose (we do this daily for Lola).

I would also advise care regarding exercise, especially in hot/warm weather. Bull breeds are Brachycephalic (short head, short muzzle) and can overheat easily in warmer weather. I would exercise your Bully in the cooler parts of the day only - we do this with Lola (our French Bulldog):)
  5. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

You must certainly have some room and time for that amount of dogs.You must be as fit as a butchers dog yourself to exercise them all lol.Be great to see some photo's....Cheers..Ian.
  6. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    Thank you for advice. i didn't know about the Vaseline on the nose so that is helpful advice, thank you.

My partner works the dogs. He is out in the field with them for 3 hours every morning. They are then worked again from 3-5pm. They are all very sociable dogs and get along well. We do have plenty of space yes, we have a 4 bedroom house with kennels and a field. Would love more dogs, in fact we have got a DDB since getting our English Bulldog!
  7. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    It's a good tip about the vaseline as they are prone to dryness. I've seen some poor Bullies with sore looking noses that are very dry:-(

Have you posted any pics of your Bulldog, I'd love to see him!