Building a run for wolf lookalikes Questions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, May 4, 2011.

1. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I think my answer to Claire should answer your question. I think its fabulous you have northern breeds that would not jump your fence to chase a cat or sheep but i would suspect you are in the minority and i would certainly not suggest to anybody with a northern type dog to not have adequate fencing in place (just in case) Not worth the risk IMO.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    lol well i personally think the thread should be....building a run for an escape artist dog..as their are many breeds and crosses that are..but my 'wolfalikes' are not one of them ;-)
  4. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    Casper can jump 6' fencing from a standstill but putting an overhang (about 1-1.5 feet) has stopped him. We just made a homemade one copying the catproofing designs, bits of wood to make angled brackets (but you can buy metal ones) and we just used cheap chicken wire (smaller meshed one though so no catching his paw in it if he jumps) across it.
  5. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    I realise you would never do this but just a word of caution for anyone considering leaving a dog unsupervised on a longline. Someone we know put her terrier on a line in the garden, obviously didn't check it's length under pressure & came out to find the poor dog had managed to reach the wall. He was found hanging:cry: :cry:
  6. rune

rune

Crossbred Huskies etc are far more likely to escape than 'wolf lookalikes'.

My friend did an enclosure within her several acres for her collies and a briard. That was six foot with an overhang and dug well in.

Common sense really and useful for any dog in some situations---nothing to do with 'wolf lookalikes'!

You have Gnashers disease :grin:

rune
  7. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Where is your evidence that crossbreed huskies are far more likely to escape than pure huskies?? Sounds like a load of tosh to me. I knew a lovely lady in Norfolk who had a huge pack of huskies, all pedigree, all used for racing, never let off the lead etc. etc., and they were incredible escape artists. Their enclosure was massively high, with an inverted bit at the top so that they could not climb over, and the wire was sunk deep into the ground, if my memory serves me right concreted as well, to prevent them digging out. Even so, virtually every morning there were tunnels dug during the night!!

I wasn't aware that I was suffering from any disease ... I am pretty healthy for my age actually :roll:
  8. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Mine too - and our previous wolf cross, and one of his sons. They are like cats!
  9. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
  10. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    Yup, I read it as crossbreed Huskies (i.e. Husky x other breed) are more likely to escape than your typical GSD x Husky x whatever "wolfalike" breed because of the GSD breed traits and the dilution of the Husky desire to roam/run
  11. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I have had five of these dogs. Only one has ever shown signs of being an escape artist. Thankfully he hasn't tried anything like that since reaching adult size and maturity. I have witnessed one NID whom I would say can climb so well, I would be worried if he had ended up anywhere other than where he is. I have heard of a few that are climbers/fence jumpers. It is better to be safe than sorry but I think these dogs are no different when it comes to climbing/jumping fences than the breeds that they have been crossed with. (Off topic but I do think potential owners, however, should be warned ref the possibility of the dogs being potential escape artists.) Good luck with the run.
  12. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    yes i agree :) but i would say any dog has the potential and all dog owners should be made aware ;-)

also op...ive seen pics and i would say one word about some of the fencing.. 'ladder'
  13. rune

rune

14. rune

rune

Thanks-----another person who can read with comprehension!

rune
  15. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    I cant see any pictures.
  16. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Yeah, I see what you mean xxxxxx I have not seen any pics.
  17. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I agree - I have owned 5 of these type of dogs now, and know at least 3 more very well indeed - 1 of whom is Hal's daughter - and all of them to a man and woman are escape artists and jumpers, chase cats, sheep, rabbits, etc. etc. given the chance.

If I left my boys in our garden, and leave them home alone, they would definitely without a shadow of a doubt jump out. We would have to erect much higher fences and gates than we currently have.
  18. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
  19. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
  20. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Don't rub it in!! :002:

However, you are still talking a load of bunkum!! IMO of course :002:
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    We have boarded loads of this "type" never ever has one tried to escape.