Building a run for wolf lookalikes Questions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, May 4, 2011.

1. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Tbf that is entirely different to being on their own patch.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Exactly! :idea:
  4. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    I did see the photos.

I have one dog (refuse to call them wolf lookalikes) that will do anything he can to escape. Our garden and paddock have a 5 foot block wall surrounding them and they are only ever in there supervised. If they do get out they are still in our fenced in land. They also have a garden with picket fencing and thick bushes behind. They are also only in there semi supervised. Once he has escaped he them comes charging back as if to say look how clever I am let me do it again!!

Our previous dog was also an escape artist and has bitten through wire fencing and wrought iron gates in an attempt to get out. Again he was not a dog that would escape and run away.

My thoughts on the photos are that the ground would very soon turn into a mud pit and that the fencing would no way keep in any dog determined to escape.

If our dogs are left outside unsupervised they are in proper large dog pens with concrete flooring and the runs coming off an ex utility room that is 8' x 6'.
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    A friend had a Greek Rescue escape artist and solved the problem with angled tops to the fences.
    He was a mutt btw. :grin:
  6. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I've now mentioned it to my fella and when he's finished re-landscaping the garden he's going to look at putting some up to see if it stops her, for now I'm sticking with a longline as she's in season so not taking any chances.

Omg! Don't tell me that I'll be paranoid now!
  7. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    If she's in season then I certainly wouldn't leave her in the garden unattended, even if she couldn't get out, males can do desperate acts to get to a female they can smell in heat so you may end up with a few little surprise bundles if careful. If you're not leaving her unsupervised then the length of the line shouldn't be an issue as you're there to monitor her :)
  8. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    She's not unsupervised but she's so quick that she just darts past you full pelt and is up and over in a split second hence she can't just be let out loose and supervised. I just have visions now of me being unfortunate enough to witness her hanging herself. The line isn't long enough for her to reach the back fence which is the one she's mainly been going over but is just long enough for her to reach the side fence's, though fingers crossed she's not bothered with them in a while.
  9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    My last GSP chomped through first a leather lead then the lunge line a trainer had lent me in no time at all. :shock: (Trainer wanted dogs tied up while she talked to us).
    I wouldn`t trust a line, personally.
  10. rune

rune

LOL---reminds me of Saff----I put a new harness on her to walk through an agility camp site, stopped to chat to someone and she went under their van next to me then when I carried on walking she danced round me free. It was one clean break. She did it a few times after that so it was cheaper to have her loose when it was safe!

You feel a bit daft with the lead dangling and the dog laughing at you.

rune
  11. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Its a specific solid wire tie out line that is supposed to be able to withstand up to 400kg and is bolted to a solid wall. To be honest I didn't even know they existed until I was informed by a PAH member of staff who said it would be far superior to a long line and is pretty much chew proof. So if the info is correct their shouldn't be any snapping mishaps.
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Loki will chew through anything that restricts him. We couldn't leave him unattended on a long line.

We have 6 foot 6 fencing - he has never tried to dig his way out or leap over them. He is more interested in trying to get back into the house to be where we are if he is in the garden without us.

I can't see the pictures either.
  13. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Please be careful using any sort of tie out line.

Many years ago we had just moved house and whilst we did the fencing had our collie on a tie out line. Dave went to the shop for some reason and I was stood there in the garden and saw our dog attempt to chase the car, reach the end of his line, fly into the air and land breaking his teeth. I would never ever use one again.
  14. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Useful for many types of dog i agree but the non recognised breed is the section i post in and the lookalikes are the type of dog i have hence post title and section, no need for last comment, just trying to be helpful. :?

Agree'd Tupac, thanks for constructive critisism, i had hoped the thread would spark that type of reaction and open up further idea's to improve. Fortunately mine are not climers, i have jumpers and diggers but as i said fencing is always a work in progress and i value that contribution which will be helpful to others.
  15. rune

rune

I couldn't see the picture but my hackles rise now whenever this stupid 'wolf' thing rears its head with everyone pretending how different they are from any northern breed cross.

Apologies if that is not what you were implying.

I always did think that the big fuss about how different they were was rubbish---now I live with one who really does look like a wolf (sorry Tassle!) I know it is. The huskies and malamutes I know are far more difficult.

Just started a new thread as I went OT with the rest of the answer.

BTW---sorry I compared you to Gnasher.

rune
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    living with both i agree and disagree but then i dont live with a saarloos cross ;-) ....id say different to each other.
  17. rune

rune

Different starts in life as well. All adds up to make any individual what they are.

rune
  18. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    what different start? only difference was zeffs op which imo more is put on it that needs to be... our two dogs had the same start :?
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Of course they did. Sounds good though doesnt it!:002:
  20. rune

rune

Sorry---I though Tupac was 8 weeks when you got him. Might well be breed differences then.

rune
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    nope 12 weeks ;-)

and i also know a swh x n.i very well from same kennels at 8 weeks... defo breed differences imo :)