Building a run for wolf lookalikes Questions

Discussion in 'Spitz Forum' started by liz & kiesha, May 4, 2011.

1. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    These dogs (NIDs) do vary in difficulty levels. It is said they were bred to be 'easier' than the said 'founder breeds' , this is not always the case, but it is, I believe, on the whole.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    I walk out my back door into this now..........
    Nowhere near finished yet but we are getting there :grin: Feel like I'm walking round the prison yard :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Our old run was further up the garden but the principles were the same. The lad sitting on the left in the run was an expert escape artist. He'd bounce out the run, clearing the fence effortlessly, run into the house grinning then ask to go back into the run so he could repeat the process. He was gutted when we roofed it :mrgreen: But he enjoyed having higher places to sit on to watch the world go by :)

[​IMG]
    (Team staked out on the grass were just about to get their dinner after a hard days fundraising) :)

We decided to move the location of the new dog run when Isaac was diagnosed with epilepsy. So I can get to him straight away if he goes into seizure and this summer we will finish his 'padded cell' so he has a safe place to be if the dogs are ever left unsupervised (which is very rarely nowadays).

To be honest though, we spent a fortune and most of the time, given the choice, I find my guys in the kitchen :roll: :lol:
    [​IMG]

Your set up sounds very similar to mine. Our garden is fenced but the dogs are always supervised when they are zooming in it. I don't have a visual on them if they are up at the outbuildings and usually catch them digging my veggies up :roll: :lol:

Fence jumpin, hole diggin, flower stompin little imps! If you like your garden build a run or consider living with gold fish instead! :mrgreen:

Best of luck with your run, as you said, always a work in progress :grin:

Take care.

Seoniad.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
  4. rune

rune

Thats a cracking area for them to be in.

Its a nightmare with the epilepsy thing. I confess to not being a paranoid as I was although Champa is always with me or seperate.

rune
  5. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    I've met quite a few NI owners who have struggled with their dogs because they have not fully understood what type of behaviour their dog 'could' display. Especially if the dog displays strong Siberian traits.

Last couple I worked with said 'if we wanted a sibe, we would have bought a sibe'. They were upset their breeder had not explained what may 'drive' their dog. They are all doing really well now. Happy dog and happy owners :grin:

Hope the furkids are all happy and well WW. Hug from me for them :)

Take care.

Seoniad.
  6. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    Thanks Rune :) I spend more time in it than the dogs do :roll:

Yes, have to be vigilant with an epileptic dog in a multi dog household. I'm very much the same with Isaac, he's never far away from me. He came and woke me up at 6.30am the other morning as he was just about to take a fit. Rest of the guys didn't even know he had taken one, all too busy snoozing. He recovered quickly and was getting into trouble an hour later :mrgreen:

Take good care.

Seoniad.
  7. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Hi Seoniad

I see what you mean about the prison yard look and lol to the padded cell, you have to laugh about it dont you? In my last house the garden was more like a concentration camp, i used to say the only thing missing was a sniper in a watch tower :lol:

I suppose the ideal is somewhere between the two, my safari park and your prison yard.

I like the dogs having an area to dig, strange thing is when you give them it, they seldom do it, go figure.

I'd say on the negative side of mine when it rains it obviously gets mucky down there and so i put them in the outbuildings to dry off a bit before brushing them out, you would not have to do that and that is definately a bonus.

Yours would be much more expensive than ours and that is a big consideration for people, by and large my dogs like yours also prefer to be up in the house lounging around when i'm home but am sure they prefer the run when i'm out on these lovely spring days we are having.

Your dogs are gorgeous, how many do you have?
  8. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    Hello :grin:

Your comment about the sniper on the roof made me laugh :lol: I've said before that I want a huge spotlight on the kitchen roof and a warning siren incase the inmates try to escape the asylum :mrgreen:

Yes, definately a balance between our two approaches is the way to go. I need to jungle up the prison yard a bit. Once I have sorted out more raised platforms for my guys I will attempt to bring back some greenery. Placed so it can't be munched or wazzed on :lol:

We managed to recycle all the slabs from the old dog run, which kept costs down a bit but I felt terrible covering up Jacub's dig pit.

He protested.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But finally he had no choice. Look at the face on the laddie :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

He has his own dig pit up at the outbuildings now but he'd much rather dig up my veggies. As you said 'go figure' :lol: And yes, sense of humour essential :mrgreen:

The slabs do make a huge difference to the amount of mud brought into the house and stop the dogs digging under the fence while the tune to 'the great escape' plays in the background :mrgreen:

I have four dogs, Sabaka, Darcy and Isaac are Siberian Huskies and Jacub is a Sibe x Mal. So far none of them have shown any interest in jumping but the minute they do the 'prison yard' fencing will have overhangs. Might get myself a little wardens uniform :mrgreen:

Take good care.

Seoniad.
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I agree with this and empathise. Until people experience it, it is easy to say these dogs are easier etc mine were pretty much easier than I think a Sibe would be, until Thunder came into my life!!! But if I hadn't of experienced this myself, I may very well still say it isn't the dog, it is the owner.

Fur balls are great, thank you xxxxxx Hugs and kisses to yours from me xxxxxxxxx