Bulldogs - how many types are there? Questions

Discussion in 'Bulldog' started by SLB, Dec 13, 2010.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Bulldogs - how many types are there?

How many breeds/types of bulldogs are there?

I've heard English, Olde English, Victorian, American - is that all of them?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    My fav is the Alapaha blue blood bulldogs..Look for Fort Glory kennels and cattle rustler kennels .
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I like the idea of a valley bulldog to ,which is a cross between a bulldog and boxer ...
  5. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Im only aware of the English Bulldog and the French Bulldog. The others are "types" nothing more.
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Whats the diffrence between a type and a breed .???
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    A type is just that, a breed is recognised, registered and bred properly. Most "types" vary massively, just look at the American Bulldog for example.
  8. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

9. AshMan

AshMan New Member

Name:
    AshMan
    fixed 8)

dont mean to sound rude but many so called types are bred properly but some folk look down on them because they cant be registered to a particular kennel club
  10. Snoringbear

Snoringbear New Member

Name:
    Simon
    Rubbish. Dave Leavitt's bulldogs are long established, have a standard, are registered and purebred for 40 years, which is longer than it took the descendents of a dalmatian and pointer cross to be recgonised as a purebred dalmatian by the KC.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    LOL! If these "types" were a breed, they wouldnt all look so totally different from eachother would they! :mrgreen: Of course if they were "breeds" why arent they recognised? Why arent we seeing more of these so called "healthier" dogs? Cos they aint!
  12. Snoringbear

Snoringbear New Member

Name:
    Simon
    Most stupid comment I've read in a while, after the one I previously quoted :roll: Our KC doesn't even recognise half of the pedigree breeds found worldwide, does that mean they are all types not a breed? What about a Jack Russell Terrier, is that a type too because it's not recognised? I would suggest you go and do a bit of research on the various bulldogs, like the Leavitts and Alapahas before posting rubbish again. ;-)
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    a jrt is a type unless your talking bout parsons ;-)
  14. Snoringbear

Snoringbear New Member

Name:
    Simon
    JRT have an FCI standard and are a recognised breed distinct from the Parsons abroad.
  15. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ahh,well i learnt something there...but do they breed more 'to type' than here?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  16. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Is it, I rather think that the very few that think all these "bulldogs" are breeds might be the silly ones! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Done my research thanks, boarded some of these types too, not impressed, all to much of nothing with a name claiming to be healthy because they arent "british" Bulldogs. Thing is they really do believe that in many instances, even when faced with the very same issues they claim the British ones have!:roll:

Like the American Bulldog, never seen two alike, and one of the ones I board is very nervous aggressive with people and also has chronic hip dysplasia! Hardly the best advert.

You are also incorrect about the JRT, only the Parson Russell Terrier is recognised here. Of course the shorter legged one (NOT BOW legged) are exhibited in other countries, Australia being a prime.
  17. Snoringbear

Snoringbear New Member

Name:
    Simon
    If you actually had done the tiniest bit of research you would know that the Leavitt Bulldog Association insist on approving all dogs before mating, which involves a vetinary examination, assessment of movement and hipscoring - an approval process which the originator of the breed is still involved with.

I'll let you do your own research regarding the differences in American Bulldogs.

I never said the JRT was recognised here. If you read my previous post, I said they were recognised by the FCI. That stands for Federation Cynologique Internationale, the largest canine governing body in the world.
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I have again looked at the Leavitt Bulldog site, all I can say is its a sorry state of affairs if many of those dogs were "approved" for anything. Many of them are horrendously deformed, and as I previously said no two are alike.

Im sorry you feel differently, its entirely your choice.
    :)
  19. Snoringbear

Snoringbear New Member

Name:
    Simon
    There are some photos of dogs from a few decades back, which aren't as nice as the modern ones. I don't think the diversity in the modern ones is any greater than that seen in Dogues de Bordeaux at the moment TBH.
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I agree with the DDB, many are of awful quality. I board a few, and my friend judges them, I went with her once and how any of them walked was a miracle. I think its a breed that needs some hard work putting into them, Im very fond of them, Id like to see them thrive. No doubt there are some real enthusiasts, and also some very good examples.
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ..every ddb i have met has either had hip or elbow problems...or both,and more often than not skin problems :-(