Bye bye Pooks Other pets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by mjfromga, Jun 27, 2016.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Thanks. He's still quite food aggressive and still acts starved, going after all food and eating way too much but he's pretty healthy otherwise.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Have you tried him with kitten gruel (porridge/baby rusks) this will fill him up, as he as miss 3 weeks of mama's milk which would of helped him gain weight without making him overweight.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    After I had bottle fed Tikva with puppy milk substitute, I weaned her on human baby cereal and then human baby powdered vegetables. She was a great scoffer but gained muscle and bone but not weight.
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Oreo had a nap and woke up in severe pain. Any way I try and touch him, he screams. He can't walk, either. I can't get back to the vet today but I called and he said on rare occasions, this can happen and he needs pain medicine until the initial vaccination symptoms wear off. Poor Oreo...
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    mjfromga and CaroleC like this.
    Oh that poor little baby. I do hope he will be OK.
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    This morning he is perfectly fine. Reaction to the vaccination. I'm still trying to work out his greed issues. As he gets bigger, he gets bolder. Example...

He will brave being bitten and knocked over by Blue to steal her food when he has ALREADY eaten. He is getting quite big, quite fast. He will growl at her and make her back off.

He keeps trying to get into everyone's plates when they are eating and he's mega relentless. I have to keep moving him away when ANYBODY is eating and it's annoying! I know this is a dog site, and I've asked on a cat site, but can anybody help? It's ridiculous!
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Can try changing his food as its obviously not filling him up.
    Not sure if you are giving him kitten or adult food, but I would recommend you give him a good quality kitten dry/wet food, as this will have all the right ingredients for a growing kitten
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    He gets Taste of the wild dry food, 9 lives cat food, and since he was mega bony, they said supplement with egg and boiled chicken, which I do. How can he not be full when he's eating literally everything? His tummy has been way too full a few times and I worried that he would get sick. He's never vomited even once despite over eating a few times and no diarrhea. In addition, he's gaining weight extremely fast so its hard to imagine he's not getting enough. Are you certain that is the issue?
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    mjfromga likes this.
    Do you have a crate, Myra? Perhaps feeding the little one inside whist feeding the others outside would be a good idea. Keep letting him win these battles will only lead to him getting more accomplished at stealing food.

Another advantage would be that he would probably feel more relaxed when he eats as the 'competition' is eliminated. The others don't have to actively try to get his food, just being there is enough to maybe make him feel as though he has to eat as fast as he can.

Failing a crate, any other means of separating at meal times. I'm sure all your gang will feel less threatened that way
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    He really does not like cages, he badly injured himself in one trying to escape and when I put him in his crate, he screams and tries to get out by climbing up and shoving. I don't usually keep him around Blue when she eats for obvious reasons and I don't usually feed Blue, as she is my mom's cat. The video was for demonstration purposes. He tries to steal anybody's food like this, even though he's already eaten. I move him away when needed, but its a pain because he's just as relentless with dog meals AND all people meals. He also gets on tables etc to hunt for food et .
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Is it adult or kitten food ?
    Have you had him checked for over active thyroid ?
    Is he upto date with his worming treatment ?
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    As with dogs, Myra, persistence and patience. It's important to make sure he doesn't steal at all before the habit will be broken.

A thyroid check is a good idea. I presume you've already eliminated any worming problems.
  14. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    He's been wormed. Have not checked for thyroid issues. Today he stole grits... GRITS. The food is cat food, the vet said kitten food really isn't much different and that cat food would be just fine. He's growing very fast so I didn't think it was a nutrient issue. I was told by some people on a cat forum that this is mostly from his past of being starved and will have to be basically grown out of.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    mjfromga likes this.
    I am sure that this is a behavioural problem, caused by his being close to starvation before being rescued. I would be inclined to feed him on his own so he doesn't feel any pressure to compete for food. I used to have a greedy cat which would stuff himself at home, and then throw up to make space to eat even more at a neighbour's house. (Yes, this was the same one who got himself nailed up under their bedroom floor!). I'm not a cat expert, but can only think that these 'greedies' need to be kept quiet for long enough to digest what they have eaten, and feel satisfied.
  16. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    It's at least partially a behavior problem because he is extremely food aggressive and will growl and stuff over his food. You don't have to be very close, either. Sometimes he will just growl while eating with me many, many feet away. If you hand him a piece of food, he snatches and growls while taking it.
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Have you tried just putting a few dry food down in his bowl, then why's he eating adding a few more, this will help him come to terms that he's not going to go hungry anymore.
  18. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Any hands near him when he eats elicit growls and gobbled food, but I will try.
  19. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Malka likes this.

He's very feisty. This is not tolerated by old Blue or Jade but Nigredo manages it well.
  20. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    mjfromga likes this.
    Actually it looks more like rough kitten play. His claws must be retracted otherwise Nigredo would have been clawed to bits.
  21. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I take extreme care to trim them VERY short. He likes to climb up people etc and it got quite painful at first. Nigredo was not hurt at all. Nigredo will occasionally put a foot on him or something to calm him down.