Call me mad.... General Chat

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by x-clo-x, Sep 14, 2010.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Call me mad....

but im going to see some great dane puppies! :grin:

dont worry i have no intention of buying one, nana wont let me have one in her house she "doesnt do" big dogs.

but i found a really nice breeder who doesnt live too far from me, and she has the most gorgeous mantle, blue and harli danes.

danes are one of my favourite breeds and ive wanted one since i was a child, so i sent her an email saying i loved her dogs and could she tell me more about the breed.
    she said that she could answer all my questions but wouldnt have time to write them all down so if i gave her a ring i could go visit.

i then asked if she was at midland counties show which she is going to, so im meeting up with her there, and also going to see the litter or pups she has now, which at the minute are 3 weeks old. she sent me some pictures and they are stunning :lol: i will have one one day :mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. emma47

emma47 New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I'm very jealous! I love great danes and would love to own one in the future :)
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    ive wanted one ever since i was a little kid, so now im old enough and know alll the responsibility that goes with owning a dog, im finally doing my research and getting to know the breed alot better :grin:
  5. mindeborn

mindeborn New Member

Name:
    mindeborn
    Hi x-clo-x,
    I have had Great Danes for 44 years. They are gentle giants. However, be very careful. Giant dogs mean giant responsibilities and giant vet bills. Insurance is a must.
    Please do your reading and research BEFORE you take on a Dane.
    KC have loads of information. Check out breeders and the pedigrees, natures and health checks done on the parents of the puppies you are considering.
    NEVER buy from a backyard breeder. Make sure your dog fits the breed standards of the Kennel Club.
    I volunteer with Scottish Great Dane Rescue so I plead with you please take great care to buy a sound dog.
    When you do - just enjoy. They love cuddles and slobbery kisses will cover your world. Good luck.
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    thanks im just in the research stage now, my mum wants one as well :grin: think it runs in the family, because theyre my dads favourite dogs too :grin: ive looked at a few breeders and just doing my research. have you heard of ravendane?
  7. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    My work colleague who has teeny tiny dogs is going to house sit for her sister next month. She has 3 Great Danes and she told me the food bill is £1,000 per month!! EEK-what is she feeding them on -fillet steak?!!

It is up to her what she spends her money on but I would feel so guilty spending this much on dogs when there are people going hungry.

I caught a Great Dane on the park once when the lady couldn't get her dog back. It was a fully grown puppy the size of a small horse and I had Cherry on lead who head-butts large dogs through fear but the dog was quite near the road so I put Cherry in a sit one side of me and held out a treat the other side and the dog came for the treat and the owner nabbed it!

They always seem very nice temperament dogs fortunately as you wouldn't want something that size that wasn't!
  8. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    So the Boxer is out then :cry:
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    no jack box he/she isnt out. remember i said i always come back to the boxer? this thread was written before i came back to them. i love boxers. :grin: :grin:

great danes do facinate me though and as ive arranged to meet the woman i dont want to not turn up or be rude, still want to meet her and her dogs.

but hey boxers are on on the same day :grin: may take a wander around their rings ;-) :grin:
  10. mindeborn

mindeborn New Member

Name:
    mindeborn
    Ravedane are very reputable breeders. They will give you good advice. Good luck.
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i love their dogs:grin: :grin: :grin:

i think if i had one i would get a mantle they seem to be my favourites, or a pure black or a harli lol... :grin:

have you gotany pics of your lot :grin:
  12. mindeborn

mindeborn New Member

Name:
    mindeborn
    I can't get photo's on here. Lots on photobucket and fb. I will keep trying to transfer them.
    My 2 current Danes are black. My others have all been fawns. I am very traditional. Although I love my Basil and Poppy, I do prefer fawns.
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    you put your photos on from photo bucket :) when you hover over the picture just copy the img code and paste it on here. thats how your pictures show up.
  14. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    You seem very sensible in doing lots of research and not just getting one on a whim. Good luck and hope your dream comes true.:grin:
  15. Jenn~n~Luke

Jenn~n~Luke New Member

Name:
    Jenn
    Oh how I remember those dreams of having a GD one day. I spent so much time reading and learning as much as I could about the breed, bugging everyone who would listen to me and those who tried not to listen lol. I ADORE this breed, they are my passion, and Luke is my dream come true. I hope that when the time is right for you, your dream will come true as well.
    I envy you the ability to go visit some puppies!! There are no breeders close to me, so alas I never get to see them in their baby stage. When I got Luke he was nine weeks and already HUGE lol.