Catahoula leopard dogs, any breeders in the UK? Questions

Discussion in 'Catahoula Leopard Dog' started by niksdogdays, Feb 22, 2005.

1. niksdogdays

niksdogdays New Member

Catahoula leopard dogs, any breeders in the UK?

Hey everyone!!! I have recently discovered a wonderfull breed that i would love to own - a Catahoula leopard dog.
    Does anyone know of any breeders in the UK or if they are even AVAILABLE over here???????

thanx nikki

[/b]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    You should speak to CBT (catahoula bull terrier) I know she has a imported few pups, I believe they are part Catahoula part Bull Terrier (hence the name CatahoulaBullTerrier) but am not 100% and dont want to say too much incase I am wrong lol.

Laura
  4. CBT

CBT

No you are correct laura :D
    There are no purebred Catahoulas in the UK (or at least not to my knowledge anyway :D although there are a few breeders in Europe)
    This breed is very demanding, they are a working dog not a pet, they need firm handling and training and lots of mental and physical stimulation. PM me if you want to know a bit more. Im no expert by any means, I am new to the breed myself, but If I can help Id be glad to :D
  5. loobyzm0m

loobyzm0m New Member

has anyone managed to find one yet? we are looking for a bitch
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    There are not any here.
    Dawn.
  7. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
    I've seen these (not in person...) and also think they look FAB!

I tell myself Bodhi looks abit like one (yeah, right Anna...!! ;) )!!
  8. Olly

Olly New Member

Name:
    olly
    welcome to dog web , sorry to say i carnt even pronounce this breed let alone know a breeder but i would be very interested to see a pic of one :grin:
  9. Olly

Olly New Member

Name:
    olly
    I've just seen that link stunning dog sort of reminds me of a harliquine dane , and i can see what you mean about bodhi too :grin:
  10. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
  11. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
    lol, that's it then... If anyone asks... ;)

Nah.. If only!! :lol:
  12. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    I think they are gorgeous dogs :grin: This is the breed I thought of when I first saw Bodhi :) it's the colouring!
  13. Archer

Archer New Member

Abit more info on the breed....
    The Catahoula Leopard Dog is the ultimate working dog and is said by many to be the world's most versatile breed. Catahoulas excel at herding cattle and hunting almost any type of game (including wild boar, raccoon, squirrel, bear, and deer). Catahoula Leopard Dogs can also be used for SAR and narcotics detection. They are naturally protective of their home and family, and make excellent watch/guard dogs. Catahoulas are exceptionally intelligent and loyal. However, they are also a highly energetic and very assertive breed and require an experienced owner. A working or hunting home is preferable.

Height: 20 - 26 inches
    Weight: 45 - 95 lbs.

Colors: Blue leopard, red leopard, black, red, yellow, and brindle. Tan and/or white trim may be present.
    Coat: Short and smooth

Temperament: Catahoula Leopard Dogs are assertive
    With Children: Good with children if raised with children
    With Pets: Can be aggressive toward dogs of the same sex

Watch-dog: Very High
    Guard-dog: Very High, will vigorously protect their owner and their territory.

Care and Training: Minimal grooming. Catahoulas require a lot of exercise the minimum should be a run for a full hour daily.
    Learning Rate: Very High

Activity: Very High.
    Living Environment: This breed is suited for life on the farm, if the Catahoula Leopard Dog is to live in city they need an outlet for their abundant energy and workaholic personality.

Health Issues: Dogs with primarily white coats are prone to deafness and/or blindness
    so all in all not a good 'pet' but very high drive working dog who requires a knowledgeable owner who can cope with his needs.
  14. Turtle

Turtle New Member

Name:
    Turtle
    Hi there
    I have a Catahoula who is wonderful, but as they say very full of energy. I have been trying to find another in the UK and it looks like I'm not going to have any joy.
    Anyone know any where in Europe?
  15. Fliggle

Fliggle New Member

Name:
    Heidi
    From just doing a quick search it would appear there are a couple of breeders here in Germany. Got to work out what they're saying though, give me time. I'll see if a friend can translate tomorrow.
  16. Turtle

Turtle New Member

Name:
    Turtle
    That would be great.
  17. bajaluna

bajaluna

Name:
    Jayne
    we had a cat at my house in florida she was a great pet.
    petti was her name she passed away last year at the grand old age of 15
  18. Wildhoulas

Wildhoulas New Member

Name:
    Daniele
    Hi all,

I have a cat stud. We are moving to the UK next month! I am hoping to find a bitch by spring. Hopefully well have pups sometime next year! If anyone is interested in a pup or wants to have a catahoula day out please let me know! My male is a brown leopard with one blue eye and one bleu/yellow eye!
    They are truly the best dog ever!! :)
  19. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Dont they use these dogs in america to chase problem bears away? I've seen one on a training programme, they are nice dogs.
  20. Wildhoulas

Wildhoulas New Member

Name:
    Daniele
    As far as I know they are used to bay and take down wild boar, track, heard, guard, mine retrieves lol I've never heard about the bears though. Then again, I know mine will do ANY job you ask of him. He is happy as long as he is working.
  21. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    It might be a different dog then. I'll have a look and get back to you :) I think all dogs are happy when working.

Done my research:

A quote for the member asking about them (Sorry I forgot who)
    "You must be ready to teach and exercise a Catahoula. If not, he will eat your house. The Catahoula will not let you forget that you own a dog." --Don Abney

The Catahoula is a common working dog of the region and is seen on farms and ranches across North America. These dogs are outstanding tracking and hunting dogs, commonly used for hunting feral pigs, squirrel, deer, raccoon, mountain lion and black bear. They often track silently and only begin to make their distinctive baying bark, eye to eye with the prey, once it is stopped.

And the dog I was looking for was a Karelian Bear Dog, they look nothing alike either lol