Catahoula leopard dogs, any breeders in the UK? Questions

Discussion in 'Catahoula Leopard Dog' started by niksdogdays, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Vicki_Ann

Vicki_Ann New Member

Name:
    Vicki-Ann
    Stunning looking breed but can only imagine the havoc will wreak in pet homes :shock:

Love that quote though, my sheepdogs won't let me forget I have dogs :lol:
    No seriously, they destroy the house and go mental if they don't get training and walks, it's more than my life is worth missing one, even if I'm ill!

Would love to see some photos of your dog Turtle. Serious eye candy by the sound of him!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Wow, our houses are so different, when they're in the house they go to sleep and thats it. Even the puppy, they do get 3-4 walks a day though. At my OH's parents house, we stand on Louie the carpet and him are the same colour and he lays at the bottom of the stairs and he's so quiet.
  4. Vicki_Ann

Vicki_Ann New Member

Name:
    Vicki-Ann
    Well, Bear and Ruby are more like your dogs, but Skye and Shiloh are Welsh Sheepdogs from working parents so they really need the stimulation and exercise!

I like the quiet natured pet dogs, but working dogs are so driven - give them a job and nothing else matters. I absolutely love their keenness for everything!
  5. Wildhoulas

Wildhoulas New Member

Name:
    Daniele
    Wow! I guess we learn something new everyday! And I agree with that quote other than the fact my houla doesn't know he's a dog... were not really sure what he thinks he is! But he's not like any dog I've ever had to deal with.

But now I will most definitely feel safe if I run into a bear! :)

And the breed is more popular in the southern united states than anywhere else in North-America. I live in Canada and my boy came from Florida lol
  6. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    There are many, many , many 'Houlas on the deaf dog group i'm on. People who have them LOVE them, unfortunately, the "leopard" coat is Merle, and so many breeders breed Merle to merle... sucks. I have, infact met 3 of them, and work with a couple who breed, tho i've never met their dogs. They have a farm and work their dogs. I cant say I know much about them, other than the regular postings about them on the deaf dog group. The 3 'Houlas I've met are all double's tho not deaf or blind. They are stunning dogs with a VERY muscular build. I'll hunt up the pic i have of one.

[​IMG]
  7. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    I think they are gorgeous dogs :)
  8. DaisyD0g

DaisyD0g New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    :lol: I have a Catahoula, and she is wonderful, she is very much like the dog in the picture, a blue merle with alot of white, 2 blue eyes and a pink nose, I will try to put a picture in.

She isn't a working dog, she is a family dog and a companion, I do agility with her once a week and walk her for at least an hour and a half in total daily, more at weekends. She has been easy to train is super smart and the softest friendliest dog I could have hoped for.

I am sure if she was bred as a working dog she would be different, however as most dogs she has adapted to living our lifestyle and is a perfect in everyway!

Don't believe everything you read on the web..... alot of the dominance crap and being the alpha dog definately wouldn't have worked with Daisy, she would have just given us the finger and done what she wanted anyway :lol: she has learnt everything through postiive reinforcement!
  9. katkins

katkins New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Hi Turtle - am in the process of importing one for the USA via Netherlands (where she's waiting to get her pat passport sorted out). Mine's a female, Rose, and 6 months old now, and solid black. What's yours?
  10. katkins

katkins New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Hi Wildhoulas - glad you'll feel safe from bears! Are you and your dog over here in the UK now, and is he in quarantine?
  11. Branwen

Branwen New Member

Name:
    Branwen
    CaroleC likes this.
    There aren’t any in the uk as far as I’m aware, I rescued mine (purebreed) from Mississippi. If you’re willing to pay for transport, there are many there, and many in need of rescue so you’re doing a good thing and getting a wonderful dog. My girl is nine years old now, and I’ve got to dismiss claims that they’re working dogs and must be constantly stimulated. While they can be working dogs, mine is basically a couch potato and is perfectly happy as long as she gets 2 walks a day. They make brilliant family and even security dogs so I would totally recommend :)
  12. NickiMCaw

NickiMCaw New Member

Name:
    Nicki
    Yes I have one and I live in Wales, UK. She will be 1 next month. We had her since she was 12 weeks old. The person we got her off said she was a collie but we didn’t think but found out she was a Catahoula Leopard dog
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  13. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I see catahoulas here in North Queensland Australia.
    The wild pig hunters started using them for quite a few years .

they are starting to get more common.