Cavalier King Charles lifespan? Health

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by thorsdad, Apr 9, 2012.

1. thorsdad

thorsdad New Member

Name:
    Alan
    6JRT's likes this.

Cavalier King Charles lifespan?

[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Our Cav is approaching 11 and seems to have slowed down in the last few months. I'm sure that I read somewhere that the average lifespan of a Cav is under 11 years. Can anyone comment on that?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    I don't know about the lifespan, perhaps someone will be along soon who does know.

However, I have to say that your little dog looks the picture of health and is in super condition. They all slow down a little as they get older (just as we do!), but that doesn't mean that there are not many more years of good living ahead of them.

He/she is lovely!
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Forget about averages and enjoy your baby every single day. They haven't read the books or internet so have no idea how long they are supposed to be with us :).

As they get older, they do slow down, but they still manage to find lots of ways to keep us smiling.

By the way, your little one is lovely
  5. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

He looks lovely, I would have guessed at 1/2 his age
    Dont worry about averages, just enjoy him
  6. thorsdad

thorsdad New Member

Name:
    Alan
    We intend to enjoy every day we have with him. My wife never thought she was a doggy person - we always had dogs in my house as I grew up - but she is now besotted with him. I was just worried that we might not have him for much longer. I try and take him to the local park every day where he can run free - and then he loves to go for a swim in the Boating Pond, so I guess there can't be much wrong with him.
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Don't they just have the sweetest way of worming their way into our hearts? :)
  8. Jeltz

Jeltz New Member

Name:
    Nic
    The King Charles Spaniel I grew up with got cancer aged 13 although I understand that he was an old boy for the breed by then.

Ultimately it wasn't so much old age that got him, until he got cancer he was healthy and active and had he not got it my guess is that he'd have carried on a couple of years more.
  9. kobi

kobi New Member

Name:
    Dave
    You are right.
    The average age is only 8 yrs old.
    I had 2 get to 12 and 13yrs
    I lost a rescue at 8 yrs with enlarged heart.
    so enjoy the luck of the draw and enjoy your better than average dog.
    Remember we only get 3 score and 10yrs and as I get nearer and nearer to that I hope I'm better than average.
  10. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Mines 14 and still going strong! He's been 'slow' for about 3 years, but just keeps on going!
  11. thorsdad

thorsdad New Member

Name:
    Alan
    Those melting brown eyes get me every time!
  12. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Lucy was14 when she left us, didnt develope any heart problems till she was 12 :grin:
  13. Lesley334

Lesley334 New Member

Name:
    LESLEY
    I guess like most things it is luck and breeding.
    My first little girl developed the dreaded heart problem that is so common in them at six years old, but we had her until she was nine, that was still too young for her to go. That was in 2001 and then it was considered unusual for them to go on beyond ten. In fact I knew one that died when it was two from the same problem.
    My second girl was 12 when she went. She had been fit and healthy right up to a few months before, but unfortunately my vet failed to recognise that she had tumours developing and by the time they were found it was too late to operate.

But I understand that now that is not an unusual age to get to, so thing have come on in a few years. A friend of mine has had two that went on to 16, so who can say, it is very much an individual thing I think.
  14. thorsdad

thorsdad New Member

Name:
    Alan
    Our lovely little dog died on 5th November of a heart attack. He had still been quite lively up to that point. He collapsed when out for his morning's walk and the vets could do nothing for him. We miss him more than we can say, but I don't have to tell you guys that.
  15. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Yes it can very much be the luck of the draw sometimes - when I got Rocky I went for a breed that was meant to be 'fit and healthy' yet he had quite a few problems bless him.

Sorry to hear about your dog Alan :(
  16. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Alan I am sorry to hear you lost Thor :( he looked a lovely little chap...
  17. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I am so sorry to read that Thor has gone. But how wonderful that he was still quite lively and up to going for a walk right to the very end.
  18. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry xx
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    When I started in Cavaliers a seasoned breeder told me that if you get them past eight (the MVD problem), they will live a normal dog lifespan. My last two both lived to 14 and died 3 weeks apart. They are the most gentle and loving breed.