CH FT CH on pedigree Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Cocker Spaniel' started by Baileys Blind, May 7, 2012.

1. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    Very, very few top trialling dogs are.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    Cockers and ESS, that is. It's different with other breeds.
  4. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    Do you have the KC 5-generations pedigree of your pup? And if yes, is Ginger Imp of Rowston printed in red ink with her proper title?
  5. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Two FTCH does not a breed make. ;)

I have no doubt there are dual purpose kennels in Weims, but having watched a few show dogs partake in working activities I truly don't agree that they're a dual purpose breed like GSPs and the like.
  6. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I have to agree with you there :? I am not saying they are not out there, but they are not as prolific as the other hpr's.

Helen
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    They are not as prolific as other breeds because they do not work like GSPs etc. ;)

On the Continent, unlike here, Weimaraners are not lumped together with the GWP or GSP etc because they were not designed to operate like them.

The Weimaraner is primarily a tracking dog, rather than an air scenting dog so is not generally as fast or as flashy as some of the other breeds.

It does not make them any worse nor does it make them any better than other breeds, just different.

This is the problem when people assume that because a breed belongs to a particular group they should all work the same, they do not.

Grey Ghosts are tracking machines and have a fantastic record in nosework unmatched by any other HPR.

This is what they excel in. ;)
  8. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    And here's me thinking they were HPRs. ;)
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

As I said it is a common mistake by many to assume all HPRs work the same, if they did there would not be so many different breeds would there?

;)
  10. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    So which group do you think they should be in?

What sort of work are they actually bred to do, if they don't work like other hprs?

I don't know a great deal about them and have only limited experience of them.

Helen
  11. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    No, it's in black :017:

Why? :blush:
  12. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    So to summarise: in one breath Weims are a dual purpose HPR breed as they have 2 FTCHs and some full Champions in the breed, but then in the next they're not actually HPRs?

OK..........:lol:
  13. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    If she's a FTCH her details should appear in red, rather than black. Ginger Imp of Rowston is a FTCH, she def should be printed in red, but I think this, plus the CH FTCH is a misprint. Bizzarely, a quick google search shows other people questioning this too!
  14. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    It's 3 or 4 generations back on Lily's papers so I would think that he'd sired a fair few pups in that time :lol:
  15. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    :lol: I meant no one really has an answer to it, and it hasn't been fixed even though others have obviously noticed it!

He's a she btw :mrgreen:
  16. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Should I contact the KC and draw their attention to it then??
  17. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    It is simply a misprint. And as with anything on the internet, once it is out there it's there for all eternity.
    There is no such thing as a dual champion in the cocker world. The working lines and the show lines are just miles apart. You would never find a show cocker with the ability to win a novice trial let alone two open stakes. And equally no working cocker would ever win any prizes in the show ring.
    This is a very good website that will give you information on the working cocker. http://felsteadgundogs.com/historyoftheworkingcockerspaniel.html
  18. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    It would be interesting to get an answer from them either way :grin:
  19. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    I wish Felstead would update their gundog training pages and take out the "forced retrieve" section! :-(
  20. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    Do you mean 'force fetch', something very common in America but thankfully unusual over here? I haven't seen that on the Felstead site.
  21. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Yeah there is a whole section on it in their gundog training pages, it's know as force fetch but on their page they call it "the forced retrieve"