Charlie got loose General Chat

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by MichaelaElls, Jan 21, 2015.

1. MichaelaElls

MichaelaElls New Member

Name:
    Michaela
    Azz likes this.

Charlie got loose

a few days ago but was recovered safely by my daughter and her boyfriend the same day. They were leaving and Charlie sneaked out the door and ran about 3 blocks from home. He had been chipped just a few days before. I'm so glad that he was caught and is home safe and sound. I'm also very glad that he was chipped just in case someone else had found him. Of course he also has a name tag on as well.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Oh how frightening that feeling is. I'm glad you found him so fast though. Fortunate with my dimtwits, so attached to me that even with the door open they aren't going anywhere.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @MichaelaElls - Pereg did that on Saturday afternoon, although she did not sneak out or escape but somehow the clip on the end of her tether became undone [and then done up again???] although it is impossible for it to be undone except by hand.

But I looked out of my bedroom window and she was on the pavement, which is impossible as her tether does not allow her to reach that far.

By the time I managed to get out she was wandering up the road, on the pavement, sniffing what dog mail had been left.

I did the only thing I could - dropped my sticks and sat on the pavement, arms out wide, calling her - she ignored the first two calls as she was too busy reading one particular dog mail - then turned round and flew back into my arms.

Someone went into my yard to get her tether and I shuffled down on my butt until I could get it - saw that the clip was closed, so clipped her on and when my crutches were brought to me from the pavement and helped me up, went back in with Pereg to check and re-check her clip. Just in case, I changed it for a new one, but there is no way that the clip could have opened by itself [it is not a trigger clip but a cross-over crab claw type].

It must have been undone by someone but how come she did not bark when whoever it was came into the yard to unclip it? She does not normally let a stranger into the yard without barking to warn them off and to warn me that a stranger tried to come in.

It is a horrid feeling Michaela, when your dog gets loose, and I am glad that you got Charlie back safely.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Frightening! Glad you got him back safe.

Not sure if you have, but its a generally seen as a good idea to just have your contact details on a name tag, and not the dogs name - incase he's caught or stolen by someone intending on keeping or selling him.
  6. MichaelaElls

MichaelaElls New Member

Name:
    Michaela
    Azz likes this.
    Thanks Azz! He has a name tag with my name and both phone numbers as well as his name. I will think about changing that.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    My 6 id tags only have "I'm chipped" on one side & mobile number on other side
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg wears three tags on her collar. A brass one which is engraved both sides and has my name, ID # and both telephone numbers, plus address on one side, and her Vet's telephone number and "I am epileptic and need medication urgently" on the other.

The two others - one has the universal Rx pestle & mortar Rx medication sign one side, the important one is this one

[​IMG]

both of those have my ID# and telephone numbers on the other side.

She is also microchipped - but being a mutt of no known origin it is highly unlikely that she would ever be stolen to be sold on. But it did not stop my BP from going through the roof when she had her little walkabout on Saturday afternoon.

That split second when you realise that your dog is not where he or she should be...

...I would not wish that feeling on my worst enemy.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    'It is a legal requirement in GB for the dog to wear a collar with the name and address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate or badge attached to it'.
    Environmental Protection Act 1992 section 149 - 151. Control of Dogs Order.

Maybe my training club is 'over the top', but this should be a prerequisite for taking the KCGC series of tests, and is stated as above in the blue book of KC Good Citizen guidelines. Personally, I also provide a phone number, and the word, 'microchipped' on the reverse, but that is not required by law.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As far as I know the law here is for a dog to wear a collar with details of its owner on a tag - but dogs are not allowed to be let loose although they are, many not even wearing a collar let alone have a tag on it.

The law also states that dogs must have a rabies shot every year - but too many dog owners do not bother. Microchip? What is that?

I do not know if there is, or will be, a legal requirement for dogs to be microchipped, but as too many people to not bother with the current laws - I regretfully do not think that a law for a dog to be microchipped could ever be enforced.

Much as I love my Country I do not like the blatant ignoring of the laws regarding dogs.

And I hate this throwaway "the kids got fed up with the puppy" mentality.
  11. MichaelaElls

MichaelaElls New Member

Name:
    Michaela
    Thank you everyone! Charlie was back home long before I came back home but when my husband told me that he had gotten out I went into panic mode. I had even seen him in person when I got home and I still panicked! We are a lot more aware of where he is when one of us leaves. I back my way out the door with my purse down at his level as a deterrent to him. Scary stuff to have one go missing.