Chico's trip to the vet! Health

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by Janet, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Chico's trip to the vet!

Had an unexpected trip to the vet this morning.

We'd had our normal walk and were nearly home, all three dogs on the lead, when a cockapoo spotted them and came racing over, his whole body wriggling in excitement. Somehow he knocked into Chico, and hurt his front leg. I waited for about an hour and he was still not putting any weight on it, so rang the vet and they said to bring him straight over.

The vet thinks he's injured his shoulder ligaments, and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection - he said if it was a person he'd say to rest for a few days, but obviously that's not going to happen! He doesn't think he'll need to see him again but obviously I'm to take him if I'm concerned.

He had to put Chico on the floor to see how he was walking, and we had an amusing few minutes with the vet trying to catch him afterwards, in spite of his gammy leg!

Seems strange that yesterday he was running along with the Dogue de Bordeaux and the Mastiff without being hurt, and today he was hurt by an over enthusiastic cockapoo! I think incidents like this will happen - an occupation hazard of being a Chihuahua. I don't want to start carrying him everywhere or avoiding other dogs, or, even worse, not taking him out for fear of being injured.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Janet likes this.
    I hope that little Chico recovers quickly.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    Poor little Chico - sending lots of "get-well-soon" {{{vibes}}} for him. xx
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thanks Carole and Malka. At the moment he is absolutely fine, with not the slightest hint of a limp or any discomfort. But of course, when the effect of the injection wears off it might be a different story.

But at least the vet seems satisfied that there's nothing to worry about - so fingers crossed he's right!
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Janet likes this.
    Yes that the problem with small dainty dogs they get easily knocked over or squash.

Hope he's feeling better tomorrow & is soon back to his old self xx
  7. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    oh poor chico, a tini dog like that would last 5 mins with me. we had a chihuahua in a work last week and i went ass over elbow tripping over her and nearly turned her in to a pancake.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Aww poor thing - I think you're right tho - we can't wrap them in cotton wool.

Little dogs heal faster than big ones :D