Clumber Breed Standard General Chat

Discussion in 'Clumber Spaniel' started by lilyput, Dec 17, 2008.

1. lilyput

lilyput New Member

Name:
    Enid

Clumber Breed Standard

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Stevel

Stevel New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Very interesting letter by James Darley and one I would fully endorse.

Thanks for posting the link.

Steve
  4. JackieS

JackieS New Member

In a book that I have which has a copy of the 1880s breed standard it states that the weight of dogs shoulb from 55lb (25kg) to 65lb (30kg), and bitches 45lb(20kg) to 55lb (25kg).So the weight in the breed standard has not doubled since Victorian times as was stated in the article
    At present I have a dog weighing 27.5kg and another at 30kg and a bitch weighing 26kg . interestingly not too much different from the 1880s standard
    Also reading the revised breed standard and the 1880s standard there is very little change in fact in certain areas the wording is virtually identical.
    I wonder if it is the same with other breeds
    Jackie
  5. lilyput

lilyput New Member

Name:
    Enid
    I thought of you when I saw it this morning, Steve!
  6. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    before I say anything, I know nothing about clumbers at all.
    But would you say its fair to assume that the standard has not changed greatly, but some breeders interpritation of it have brought about any changes?
  7. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    It is interesting but it is up to the breed clubs to change the standards not the kennel club who will either accept them or ask that the changes be amended or clarified.

The KC rarely changes the standards without consultation with the breed clubs, recent exceptions being the tail carriage and the weighing and measuring of some breeds where, I believe, some changes were made without the blessing of the breed clubs because they in turn could not agree.