Clumbers,any call for working lines? Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Clumber Spaniel' started by powderworks, Jun 15, 2010.

1. powderworks

powderworks New Member

Name:
    Jan

Clumbers,any call for working lines?

Hello, I have jusyt registered as a new member and want to say to everyone!!I am new to forums so please bear with me.

I do have one question though and would like your opinions, I am considering breeding working Clumber Spaniels NOT THE SHOW TYPE and was wondering what type of market there is for this breed, i knoe there aren't many breeders of this breed but how many people have actually heard of one?

I look forward to your thoughts on this
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    There is a guy on here who has 2 Clumbers - (and a springer) I believe he works them.

ETA....whats up with the terriers ;)
  4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    There are quite a few breeders of clumbers that i know of, although its the showing type! Not sure how many are around breeding from working dogs.
    I thought most people knew of clumbers?? :lol:
  5. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Welcome to Dogsey :grin:

My sister had a Clumber Spaniel, he was from show lines and she lost him about 4 years ago aged 13, he was gorgeous :-(

I would imagine that you would have to do your homework if you are thinking of breeding them from scratch...are you breeding because you want to start working them yourself or thinking it could be a good money making exercise? If it's the latter I would imagine it would be a non starter as they still have to have all the health tests done regardless of whether they are working or show type.

If you have a genuine interest in the breed then I would suggest you make enquiries, maybe visit a breeder to see their dogs and take it from there.

Hopefully Steve, (I think it is), will be on later to give you some advice.
  6. powderworks

powderworks New Member

Name:
    Jan
    Thank you for your posts, nothing is wrong with my Terriers just want a change!!!!
    I will be working my Clumber, just have to learn how to! I can train dogs though thank goodness!
    Here more people work Springers, Labs and Cockers not many Clumbers worked up here.
  7. Stevel

Stevel New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Been absent from the forum for some time now (work, ill health etc) so have only just seen this post.

I have just posted a video of one of my Clumber's out on a walk with me last weekend. Can be found here http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=134831

As for breeding, well best I could suggest is don't. Not until you have some experience of the breed and realise the severe health defects some of them do have.

Join the Working Clumber Spaniel Society and ask loads of questions as there are some very knowledgeable people there.

Best of luck

Steve