Coat blowing General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Yazmin, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin

Coat blowing

image.jpeg So Miko's blowing her coat, fur everywhere and she hates being brushed! Akita scarf anyone?...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yazmin likes this.
    My two have been dreadful this year - so much tumbleweed that I could let out the bungalow for a Wild West set! I've got them on Coconut oil, Omega 3 and a Senior multivitamin. Merry also has Evening Primrose, and Mirracoat because she should have more coat density!!!.
    Every time they begin to slow down, out comes the sun and they start shedding again. I thought a short haired breed would be easier.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Heiko is in full flow, he has such a thick coat, this is just from his back legs and trousers.
    We are off in the camper next week so that should be fun, hair everywhere.

3.PNG
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wow! Perhaps I shouldn't be complaining......
  6. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    @GsdSlave I completely sympathise! His hair is so thick it doesn't even look as if he's lost any! Miko looks a little scraggy at the moment, I just wish she'd keep flipping still :021:. @CaroleC I didn't know short haired breeds shed so much, English weather doesn't help I guess. Has anyone tried the furminator?
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not in England but in a very hot country, and my beloved epi Angel Pereg. who was not long-coated but not short-coated either, used to blow her coat at times. She did not like the Furminator but was OK with a shedding tool.
    [​IMG]

Tikva, being so short-coated does not appear to shed - yet.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  9. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    I think I'm going to have to invest in some new tools, thanks for the advice!
  10. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Name:
    Danielle
    Yazmin likes this.
    I was told not to ever use a Furminator on an Akita because it actually cuts the coat. We use a combination of brushes/combs too. Slicker brush, pin brush and undercoat rake. Our boy also can't stand being brushed so I usually have to bribe him with peanut butter to sit still. :D
  11. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    The groomers recommend a furminator but then told me to pop in as they sell them there. So I thought I'll ask the good folk of breedia first. @Danielle peanut butter! What a brilliant idea! Thank you :)