Cocker Spaniels and cats Questions

Discussion in 'Cocker Spaniel' started by pamela81, Jun 29, 2013.

1. pamela81

pamela81 New Member

Name:
    Pamela McFarlane

Cocker Spaniels and cats

We are looking at possible getting a cocker spaniel to join our furry family of 2 cats. Just wondering if anyone has had a cocker whilst having cats and if so, how did they get on with each other? Its the working breed we are considering just now as that is the 1 i have had experience with.

Thanks in advance
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. majuka

majuka New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hi Pamela

I am sure we have some cocker owners on here so hang in there and one of them will hopefully see your thread and be able to give you some advice :)

I am a dog walker and one of my clients has two cockers, one working and one show. They also have two cats. I have never met the cats so don't know if they are timid, feisty or somewhere in between but I do know that the cats and the dogs live totally separately in their house. I am not sure whether the dogs were there before the cats or vice versa.

Hope someone else can give you some more feedback.
  4. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    If it helps I've plenty of experience of Cats with Dogs including Spaniels although mine are Springers rather than Cockers.

It's obviously much easier to introduce a puppy to cats than it is to introduce a mature dog to cats.

Skye (Deerhound X Old English Sheepdog) and Fingal (Springer) arrived as pups when we had 4 cats. Breagh (Lab x Pointer) arrived as a pup a few years later and Mij (Springer) arrived just recently when were down to two cats.

My cats have always enforced the law as soon as a new pup arrives.

By showing they're not intimidated, standing their ground, giving the pup a wee swipe, and letting the pup know who's boss from day one - they know that they will not have to worry about the dog as it gets bigger.

Just ensure the cats have a safe place where they can choose to go to get away from the pup if they just want some lazy time.

PS

My sister (Fudgely) brings her Cocker when she comes to say with us and he's never been a problem with the cats.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  5. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    I should have added - my dogs don't bother my cats but my dogs will chase a strange cat if it appears in my garden.

Likewise my cats aren't bothered by my dogs but will run away from a strange dog.

I put this down to the fact that:

1 - My cats laid out the rules to my dogs.

2 - My dogs have learned those rules

3 - My cats know these rules don't apply to other dogs.

4 - My dogs know these rules don't apply to other cats.
  6. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Your sister has a really cool name!!!:lol:
  7. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    That's her username on here silly ;-)
  8. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Oh....:lol:
  9. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    The only thing I would add is that I feel that working cockers and show cockers are quite different dogs. The workers being more active. My friend is a dog walker and there are a lodge number of working cockers in this area...not sure about other areas ...And they are more active than a show cocker.
  10. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Interesting about your dogs and cats Phil. I had a GSD who would chase rabbits on the fields where we lived until she dropped. But my boy's (huge) pet rabbit (just like a wild one) she thought of as her 'pup' lol! Guarded it, licked it - thought the rabbit would die of fright but it got used to it! Dog used to prop herself on front paws in the door of the large hutch and just 'gaze' at her rabbit!

But if our cat came anywhere near that rabbit the rabbit would stand up on its hind legs and BOX the cat!

Had another smaller rabbit years later who thought it was great fun to keep 'hurdling' over the cats if they were lying in the sun!

And a huge tortoise that the cats were used to (tortoise had been around longer than any of them) and the tortoise would 'bite' their fur and come away looking as if it had a moustache!

Here's a pic of some of them all getting along
    [​IMG]
  11. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    That's a great picture.
  12. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Compared to my Izzie, that tortoise is HUGE!!
  13. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I used to have a show type cocker and he got on fine with my cats, I had 5 at the time. That said every dog I've ever had including terriers have always been well behaved around cats. It's never made any difference whether the cats or dogs arrived first. I just think it's a training issue not a breed issue.
  14. Robbie34

Robbie34 New Member

Name:
    Robert
    None of my Cockers have had problems with cats although I have never owned a cat. My late Cocker, Charley, had a best friend who was a cat. Unfortunately, when Spooky -the cat - grew up he had no time for Charley and totally ignored him. Previously the two of them used to play together in the garden and have lots of fun.

I have never encouraged my Cockers to chase cats from the garden or to chase birds. Much has to do with the way you raise your puppy. I'm sure that a Cocker puppy will be fine with your cat, but it's the puppy I would be worried about. The cat will be more than a match for a puppy.
  15. pamela81

pamela81 New Member

Name:
    Pamela McFarlane
    Robbie, we have ended up rescuing a 6yr old springer spaniel!! he is great with the cats, him and my wee black cat like to "kiss" each other by touching noses, my tortie cat is taking a bit longer to come round to him but she is quite a timid cat anyway. All is going well so far!! He even takes his toy to the black cat as if he wants to play with him!!
  16. Cath

Cath New Member

Name:
    Cacoll
    I am glad you got one and he's settling in, I love to see cats & dogs getting on well, love the idea of them kissing each other.
  17. pamela81

pamela81 New Member

Name:
    Pamela McFarlane
    i will try and get a photo of them. i need to be quick with the camera though!!
  18. Jackalyn

Jackalyn New Member

Name:
    JACKIE
    My springer and german shepherd are great with my cat too in the house. Will sleep alongside her and are very gentle. Yet outside when she is walking or running along the wall they will bark at her and jump up at the wall as if they don't recognise her at all. She just gives them a look and has a wash!