Collie Safe Meds Questions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Pnerissa, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Pnerissa

Pnerissa New Member

Name:
    Beverly
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is such a beautiful picture Beverly - and Riley looks so handsome and proud sitting there! :049: Is it near where you live?

Thank you for putting it up for all of us to see and enjoy! :)
  4. Pnerissa

Pnerissa New Member

Name:
    Beverly
    Yes, it is a creek about an hour away. It's an easy paddle, pretty shallow and no alligators (there are some creeks and rivers here in Florida that he will NOT be going on.) I actually live right up the street from another pretty popular creek, but I figured for his first trip that we would do a shorter trip to see how he liked it. The weekend before last I took him Standup Paddleboarding and he did really well on the board also. I'm exposing him to a lot of people/activities in the hopes that he will be a well rounded/socialized dog
  5. Pnerissa

Pnerissa New Member

Name:
    Beverly
    Thought I would drop by with an update on my "little" fella.Today Riley (8 1/2 months old) lifted his leg to pee for the first time. My lil boy is growing up... His training is coming along. Not perfect yet, but getting better.

We went through a rough patch of itchies and hot spots a while back while I tried to narrow down what he was allergic too. Apparently -- the outdoors. I have a herding dog that is allergic to the outdoors! Anyway, after all the shampoos, medicated lotions and trying different dog-safe allergy pills, we finally settled on Zyrtec (without the decongestant!) and it is working well for him. I am sooooo glad because it was becoming quite the chore to give him 2 baths a week during the roughest patch.

Riley is getting to be a big boy too. He has finally learned to get into the truck by himself. Thank goodness! The last time I tried to lift him into the truck I tweaked my back. I can't even imagine how I'm going to get him back into the bathtub...

[​IMG]Riley by Beverly Hill, on Flickr

I will try to make an effort to post more (and share photos.) I am even starting to consider getting a friend for Riley (probably a rescue), but I want to make sure his training sticks first before it all goes out the window. He gets distracted so easily! Oh look! Butterfly!

Bev
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Riley is so very handsome - I am glad the Zytrec is working well. I have been prescribed it for years now due to major angioedemic allergy allergy attacks [tongue, lips, face] and it did help to delay them - sometimes. It is still on my regular monthly prescription but they now send Histazine [Cetirzine Dihyriochline] which have the same ingredients.

Have you tried Frontline [or the iHerb one] yet? The two active ingredients in Frontline Plus, fipronil and S-methoprene] do not appear to show on the list of any high risk medications, nor do the ingredients in Zytrec.

Please give your gorgeous boy hugs from me, and tailwags and polite kisses from Tikki.

Juli & Tikki Tikva xx
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Riley is growing into a handsome lad.
    My friend has a rough collie with same name.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Lovely photo. He may have had problems, but he looks glorious on there.
  9. Pnerissa

Pnerissa New Member

Name:
    Beverly
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks everyone. I am doing my best to raise this furry child! He is not like any of my previous collies. It has been a battle of wills at times, but I have been holding firm. He still thinks he should be the one in charge, but he is listening better. Oh, you'll get a kick out of this. He is 100% house-trained at my house, but when I take him over to my boyfriend's house he has to pee on the floor. I don't even blame Riley since my boyfriend fosters rescue dogs and his house isn't sanitized enough to remove the other dog smells. The kicker is my house doesn't have a dog door but his house does!!