Could Poodles ever go back to their original purpose? Discussions

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by SLB, May 26, 2011.

1. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I think that they could, I've heard of some up in Scotland I think, also people wanting to breed them to Greyhounds to get a lurcher with gundog in it, but a gundog that isn't too heavy, I've even heard of them having pulled sleds in the artic too, Poodles are great dogs.

And with their coats, everything has a reason, and heres a list borrowed from someone a know.

The faces are clipped to make it easier for the poodle to carry the waterfowl it is retrieving. The current standard also calls for tight lips because loose lips would allow water to enter the dogs mouth while it is swimming and make it have a hard mouth, aka, damage the bird.

The feet are clipped to expose the webbing, thus making swimming easier.

The main body is left long for bouyancy, holding the main body and head above the water with little effort from the dog. Also leaving the main body covered in hair protected the heart and lungs against the cold water.

The tail was docked to reduce drag, but has a pom at the end to protect the tip from the cold water and as a marker for the hunter to keep track of the dog.

The hind end was clipped to allow more power to the hind quarters while swimming, no hair, no drag. But hair was left over the hip joints and around the ankles both in front and in back to protect those joints from the cold water, thus the hip rosettes and bracelets we see today in the Contenital trim, the English saddle trim also protects the knee joints and leaves more hair on the hind quarters, but a shorter hair to still give the hind quarters the drive to swim.
  4. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    ^^^ Fascinating stuff really. I much prefer to see a poodle with just a simple cut. I know of somebody who has 2 and she just keeps them trimmed, no fancy bobbles or hairdos and they are great dogs.
  5. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    A team of Poodles actually finished the Iditarod Dog Sled Race a number of years ago... then they banned non arctic breeds... there were a number of people upset about being beaten by a team of "prissey Poodles" though they claim to have banned non northern breeds sue to it being unfair to submit dogs who aren't born for the harsh weather to the elements...
  6. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
  7. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Here's a video of the musher that ran Poodles. The Johnny Carson Show