Czech wolfdogs- who else loves them? General Chat

Discussion in 'Czechoslovakian Wolfdog' started by infamousinuits, May 24, 2008.

1. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Sorry about that - I was referring to the dogs on the site that Borderdawn posted a link to.

This is a quote from the site - they are talking about the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. Have they got it wrong then?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    In the UK it is classed as a wolf hybrid(ie part wolf part domesticated dog)

Of course GSDs are a dead recent like over well 100 years ago(1899 was when Von Stephanitz said the GSD was born it was when the SV was founded & the first dogs recorded, however there were GSDs shown before this date & they had been developed since the 7th century from various shepherding breeding in German so yes a very very recent breed) & no wolf blood in the last century or this. I do know that there is a crazy woman who claims that a recent Sieger was part wolf but when pressed to name the dog fell totally silent.

GSD owners after WWI did get a bad press as the KC in their wisdom called them Alsatian Wolfdogs instead of their correct name of Deutsche Schaeferhund(German Shepherd Dog)simply because of the huge hatred of the Germans after WWI

The name was not corrected for a few years & by then the public believed that GSDs were all wolf crosses & this has remained true of many members of the public. it is still a popular belief that GSDs "turn"when they get to 7(I've had a good few GSDs since 1958 & I'm still waiting to see one"turn")
  4. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    that is talking about a wolf hybrid, wolf x dog, (wolfdog) the first cross between a 100% wolf and a 100% dog is F1

I don't know how many crosses the CWD is away from the wolf.

And I don't know how many crosses the GSD is away from the wolf. These old pictures of GSD don't look like the ones we have now.

http://www.shilohshepherds.info/whatIsAShilohShepherd.htm
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    So called Shiloh Shepherds are simply oversized dog bred from oversized GSDs in the USA, of course GSDs have changed over the years, just like 99% of breeds,.

Would you prefer to drive a Standard Ford or a Ford Focus ??? & there is less than 60 years between those two
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    The thing is, DEFRA, as far as i am aware, still lists the Czech Wolfdog and the Sarloos as wild animals that need to be housed as such. They defer some choice in that to local councils, but that is a VERY blurred area and I wouldn't like to go on the word of anything someone in the council said unless it was down on paper. I would think councils would be wary of giving the okay as they may set a dangerous precedent.
    The question I must ask, is , no matter what the temperament of the dog, if knowing the above is true, then who would these dogs appeal to in this country and what sort of lives would they have? Until DEFRA lifts their classification of them as wild animals then I personally think it would be irresponsible to have them over here. Just my opinion.
    I am sure they are lovely dogs but I have to say I also agree with Dawn in wondering why anyone would want recent wolf in their dogs??? It does seem pointless to restart what was started thousands of years ago...
  7. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Personally I think its a bit silly to bring in a dog with such an "iffy" question mark above it..

It's like the pit bull scenario..(or the bull "type")

The is it or is it not..It is very irresponsible to sell puppies to people who may not be aware of the problems facing them

However if people are dvertising Czech hybrid(cross) pups that are actually Sarloos hybrid (cross) pups then the people won't even know what they are getting so won't be aware what to beleive or what to even call their dogs breed or cross
  8. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    If you bought a czech or sarloos how would you have to keep them? i.e would they be accepted as household pets or would they have to be kept outside? I think i read somewhere that a few wolf x dog's have been taken to zoo's until the wolf content was established how true this is I dont know.
    But I am curious how you would keep a dog like this as i have no experience of them what so ever, do they behave like dog's or does the wolf side take over?
    Im terrible at explaining things so if this makes no sense i understand :blush: :lol:
  9. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    if a wolf female is crossed with a full dog wolf content could be established as the female wolf passes on the wolf gene, the other way round, no telling x
  10. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Well considering DNA experts have now established which breeds (the ancient breeds) are the closest genetically to species of wolf, that would mean that only female wolves were ever bred with any other dog to create the 'ancient' breeds we have today !

Plus more recently (in the last 2 years) 3 people in the South West had dogs conviscated for having wolf content in their dogs, as they had crossed female domesticated dogs with male wolves and the Genetic code was established as having wolf content !
  11. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    On the continent, wolf dogs live like domestic dogs, as pets, however, from what I have read, they do need special handling and aren't the easiest of dogs.
    Here, DEFRA classifies them as wild animals (and who can blame them if you read Malady's post...these poor breeds are just wide open to abuse IMO),as such they should be housed as wild animals, out side, in cages etc. DEFRA do, on occassion, defer to the local council involved and allow them to decide if a licence is needed, but as I said before, I would be wary of that as it is unlikely that any council would approve of the dogs being kept as pets, particularly in the current atmosphere about dogs. I would be wanting a LOT of paperwork in place from the council and DEFRA before I even considered bringing a dog or pup home.

I think this is an issue for all 'wolf' loving dog owners. It just takes ONE accident with a poor owner of a wolfdog here and the press would go mad and all wolfy looking dogs would be for it,I do think this whole subject needs to be approached with caution. My concern, as ever, is for the dog's welfare...
  12. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    I wasn't talking about the Shiloh Shepherds, I meant the pictures of the original GSD's on that website, nice straight backs and longer legs, they have a 'certain' look about them don't you think. Yes they have certainly changed a lot in the last 60 years. I know which ones I like the look of.

Ford focus or Standard Ford, would have to be a Standard Ford, (no offence meant to anyone with a ford focus). Bit like motorbikes, I would rather have an old cafe racer than a modern sportsbike any day.

quote from this website

link removed

'In Germany, as in France, the United Kingdom, Holland, and others, the growth of large industrialized cities meant that predators were declining quickly and also that there was a greater awareness of the excellence of the shepherding dogs of different areas. The establishment of dogs of fixed type was now at hand although there were still great variations to be found from one area to another. Breeders would meet and discuss the relative merits and shortcomings of certain dogs, and it followed that dogs of high merit were much in demand as breeders tried to fix into their stock the sterling qualities seen in dogs from other areas. It came to pass that in Germany, in 1891, a group of enthusiasts formed the Phylax Society with the aim of fostering and standardizing native German breeds. The society was short-lived and in 1894 it was disbanded, but it had sown the seeds from which the German Shepherd was to emerge.'...............'In 1919, when the English Kennel Club gave the breed a separate register, some 54 animals were included,'

So I will try to explain what I meant a bit better this time,

In 1891 the GSD was still a breed in progress, developed by crossing existing German breeds, and by 1919 they were a registered breed with the KC. That to me is a recent man made breed, and not one with a pure bred history going back thousands of years.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2008
  13. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel

Feel i should point out the Dalmation was breed to look pretty running behind carridges and the Lasa Apso was bred as a living hot water bottle . . .
  14. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    I have seen many NIs that look like wolves and I dont see the problem of a pet looking like a wild animal as long as doesnt behave like one
  15. zero

zero New Member

I'm confused by people saying Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs were bred for their looks? That's not true, I have not seen anywhere saying this.

As for people mentioning looks, why not keep your derogatory comments to yourself. That's just your opinion. Skinny, scrawny, malnourished, unkempt? Jeez.

You know you sometimes put yourselves as the Hitlers of the dog world - it wears real thin.

In my opinion, I think they look fantastic, like a dog should look like. Forget funny looking dogs that are built that way to do their JOB f/k it! I want a dog that looks like it would look without people tampering with them, I think they look natural which is more than can be said for most breeds.

It would be nice to here more about the temperament but since there are no experts here, people will learn more elsewhere and leave such threads to accumulate stupid remarks and nothing more.
  16. zero

zero New Member

Actually your missing everything, the whole life style...How often do you have the dogs pulling? Seriously do you think that, that amount is equivalent to warrant it being called the 'work' which they were bred for. Your dogs don't work! they have fun doing something you replicate for them a few hrs a week as a pass time.
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The Dalmatian :002: STILL does that job extremely well, there are many clubs supporting the work. Your point re Lhasa's is valid, and why would anyone else want to create a "pet" when we already have several breeds bred specifically for that already?
  18. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Why breed any dogs when there was a breed already out there that did the same job. The rottie was bred as a cattle dog but there were already cattle dogs in exsistance.

Some people decide that the breeds in exsistance aren't what they are looking for. So take the points they like from a few breeds to create a new one that does.
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Ahhh I get you, you take a Malamute, a German Shepherd and a Siberian Husky, and get a dog that doesnt run off, doesnt guard and has no aggressive tendancies!! :002: :001:
  20. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Thats the idea . . . .

I love Huskies but a walk with Kiska turns into a battle of wills EVERY time, and she is a well behaved mature husky.
  21. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T

So why don't you own a wolf dog or a wolf instead, as they aren't tampered with ? :mrgreen: