Dachshunds and their hound heritage? Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Miniature Smooth Haired)' started by philbee100, Feb 21, 2014.

1. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil

Dachshunds and their hound heritage?

hi. i have been doing alot of reading up about dachshunds since we got our new puppy brena in december. i understand dachshunds are in the "hound" family, and i wonder if this will have any effect on brena's behavior in the future. the only dogs i have owned are labs and lab mixes, never a pure bred hound type. the only hounds i am familiar with here in virginia are coonhounds, and i have only seen them kept in kennels for hunting, never as family dogs. does being a type of hunting hound (albeit very small) affect the dachshund's behavior in any way, and what sort of things should i look for as brena grows older. thank you for your time.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    As with many smaller dogs Phil, their exterior doesn't always reflect their interior :lol:

Dachshund actually means 'Badger hound' as that is what they were originally bred for, so they certainly have the hunting instinct which you might what to keep an eye on.

The ones I know have strong willed characters, are feisty and brave.
  4. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    Azz likes this.
    luckily we don't have too many small animals around here, and brena hasn't started digging...yet. i have noticed that for some reason she is somewhat put off by strange larger dogs, but she gets along great with chuk and katie, which puzzles me. still, i really don't think it is a good idea to let her off leash, since we live fairly close to a highway and railroad tracks, and i don't want her to suddenly catch a scent and run off and have something happen to her! as her tracking ability develops i really need to keep her under control. plus she is also starting to run a LOT faster outside, so better safe than sorry.