Dashunds Epilepsy Health

Discussion in 'Dachshund (Miniature Smooth Haired)' started by pippam, Apr 1, 2012.

1. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a

Dashunds Epilepsy

How common is it and do breeders check for it??

Ive been looking at the health tests for Miniature Dashunds and I can't see if Epilepsy is something good breeders check for?

I understand it can be quite common in the breed? Is it treatable??

Hope this is the right section I checked on the kennel club a while a go and Dashunds are in the hound group ^_^
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There is currently no test for epilepsy
  4. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Dachshunds are not known for epilepsy, except in the case of Double Dapples. There is new research coming to light about Double merle/dapple affecting the brain as well. There seems to be a much higher rate of epilepsy in double merle/dapple than in any other colour of the breed in question.
  5. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I was reading on the uk website Dachshunds are prone to epilepsy they never said it was down to a paticular colour so I simply thought it was all of them.
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Not sure which website you were perusing, have you looked at the Dachshund Breed Council's health site for info?

http://www.dachshundhealth.org.uk/

You can download the A - Z of conditions there
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
  7. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    Min wires are REALLY prone to Canine Lafora which is a late onset version of Epilepsy (along with other problems). It is the most horrific disease.

If you google Canine Lafora, there is plenty of information. With regard to the dachshunds, it is the min wires prone to this. There is a huge amount of work being done with the breed council regarding this. It will eventually become compulsary to have min wires checked for it, it can be eliminated with breeding. At present the test is only available on saliva for Uneffected/Affected. The carrier test is only possible on blood. But 2 weeks ago 35 min wires (including my 2) were part of a trial to see if, they can be tested on saliva. So blood and saliva were taken and they have been sent to Canada to the Hospital for Sick Children where they are being gtested. hopefully results should be here in another 4 weeks of so.
    At present it is thought to only affect some UK bloodlines, as it does not appear to present itself to European bloodlines. However with exports etc it is only a matter of time before it does become more internationally a problem. This is another reason why the test has become so urgent.
    A lot hangs in the balance over this, and a lot of breeders have put everything on hold until we have the results.

Also look at the Dachshund breed council for more information x :)
  8. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    Meant to say - I would NEVER advise buying from someone who is not pro testing and be warned there is only ONE recognised way of doing the testing. If someone says they have got their dogs tested via another method/laboratory (other than through the Breed Council) THIS IS NOT RECOGNISED WITH THE KC and has not guarantee of beign true (no matter how good their patter is!!)
  9. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley