Deciding on getting a Malinois Discussions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Trishiau, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Azz likes this.

Deciding on getting a Malinois

Hi there. We have 2 dogs now, a 5 yo schipperke and a 4 yo Pomeranian. As you know these 2 have their own "issues." My husband was a K9 handler MP in the Army for 8 years working with Malinois. He's been wanting a bigger dog for sometime and we found a breeder in our state. Normally wouldn't do a breeder but I'm confident for this breed it's the best way to go. With my husband living with PTSD, dating back to losing his Malinois in Afghanistan, when it probably saved his life, I do feel like this would give him a genuine purpose. I, however, have much anxiety about adding a 3rd dog for many reasons but at the same time am excited about the idea.
    Thoughts?? Any and all info or opinions greatly appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Trish - welcome to Breedia from Tikva and from me :039:

I am sorry to hear about your husband having lost his Mal in such terrible circumstances and his resultant PTSD but cannot comment on whether another one would give him purpose or not, because I do not know. So I am afraid I cannot give you any advice on that.

You say you would not normally "do a breeder" - is there any reason for this? I would have thought that a good breeder would have had all the necessary health checks done on both dam and sire before breeding, and any necessary health checks done on resulting puppies.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you and your husband make the right decision for you both, as well as the two small dogs you already have. :)
  4. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    I guess I was just raised rescuing dogs and with the idea to avoid pet stores and breeders. I was really into animals growing up, did the whole PETA and shelter voluteerung thing :) Not used to having purebreds.

My biggest question is the 3 dog thing, and if others have experience...too much? Then I'll need to weigh the potential good and bad. She's due 9/13
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Innocence and Trishiau like this.
    My current little devil is a cross Dachshund/Minpin but my previous two were mutts. All girls and all spayed. I have not had a purebred since I used to breed Griffons in another life and another Country - and at times I seemed to have a houseful of them!

But there are some people on Breedia who have three or more dogs, including dogs of different sizes, so hopefully they will see your OP and be able to give you the advice that I am unable to give you.

If nobody notices your OP perhaps posting on the General Dog Chat section

http://www.forum.breedia.com/dogs/general-dog-chat/

asking for advice on getting a third dog might get you the advice you need.
  6. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Name:
    Shawn
    CaroleC likes this.
    Trish...Belgian Malinois are really great dogs; we have 3 at the moment and they are sweet, highly active dogs. If they are socialized early with other dogs, children and people you will have a family dog. They are very active and need a strong person to train them...your husband obviously has experience with his partner before so this could be a great addition to your family as well as a needed companion for your husband as he heals.

Just my opinion but we love our dogs and we have a small mutt that fits in quite well with the bigger dogs and their activity level.

Shawn
  7. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Malka likes this.
    Shawn[/QUOTE]

Hi Shawn,
    You're response is just what I needed and I so appreciate it! We have our dogs of course, 2 children (10 & 17) and a cat :D. I straight out asked my husband this weekend why he wanted this dog (aside from he just likes dogs lol) and he gave me the exact answer I was hoping for. His main reasons include missing his dog Andy and he's ready for another now (recently finished 6 weeks of CPT focused mainly on this experience as well). I do feel he's ready for this next step in his healing process. He says it'll be a good companion for him and will give him back that purpose. He gets so excited when he talks about mals. Think I've made my final decision ;)
  8. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish

Hi Shawn,
    Your response is just what I needed and I so appreciate it! We have our dogs of course, 2 children (10 & 17) and a cat :D. I straight out asked my husband this weekend why he wanted this dog (aside from he just likes dogs lol) and he gave me the exact answer I was hoping for. His main reasons include missing his dog Andy and he's ready for another now (recently finished 6 weeks of CPT focused mainly on this experience as well). I do feel he's ready for this next step in his healing process. He says it'll be a good companion for him and will give him back that purpose. He gets so excited when he talks about mals. Think I've made my final decision ;)[/QUOTE]
  9. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Name:
    Shawn
    Hi Shawn,
    You're response is just what I needed and I so appreciate it! We have our dogs of course, 2 children (10 & 17) and a cat :D. I straight out asked my husband this weekend why he wanted this dog (aside from he just likes dogs lol) and he gave me the exact answer I was hoping for. His main reasons include missing his dog Andy and he's ready for another now (recently finished 6 weeks of CPT focused mainly on this experience as well). I do feel he's ready for this next step in his healing process. He says it'll be a good companion for him and will give him back that purpose. He gets so excited when he talks about mals. Think I've made my final decision ;)[/QUOTE]

Let us know how things work out!
  10. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    ShawnM likes this.
    He's somewhere in that pile of pups! Born on 9/11 if you can believe that

Attached Files:

11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Trishiau likes this.
    Lovely litter. Little puddings!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Trishiau likes this.
    Ahh - makes me puppy broody again!
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Trishiau likes this.
    Beautiful pups, what breeding are they?
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  14. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Thank you. Belgian malinois
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    No i meant what is their pedigree.The reason i ask is that the brindle comes from the Dutch Shepherd.
  16. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    I was wondering, I'm new at this. From the breeder's website:

Mom:
    She`s the daughter of Anett meggan bohemia IPO 2, PFr2 (tracking), ZVVI show title, cz import with advance tracking degree, elite personal protection k9. And MIDO a Black Belgian Malinois KNPV Policedog I 435 with honor He is a KNVP PH1 with a perfect score 435/435 pts. That got him an invitation to the KNVP championships were he scored 429 /435 pts. He’s a son of the famous Jary Berghorst who is a super producer and has great offspring through out the world. He was bred in Holland.
    Dad:
    Barron's dad "Nero Van de Annahenhof" KNPV PH1 graduate with honors before he was even 2 years old. Belgium import FCI international registration and AKC, Excellent x-rays hips/elbows/spine. He Scored 435 Points Out Of Perfect 440 Score.
  17. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
    Not the best shot but this is all I've got on mom.

Attached Files:

18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Thanks, I was just confused by the brindle colour and wondered if there was any Dutch KNPV lines in the pedigree.
  19. Trishiau

Trishiau New Member

Name:
    Trish
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    From my understanding brindle is not a color that occurs in the breed. KNPV bloodlines uses mostly Cross Mals and Dutch Shepherds hence the brindle colour. http://younghaus.com/fci-vs-knpv-dutch-shepherds/

Quote ) Please be aware! The Belgian Malinois DOES NOT have a brindle (striped) coat! If you end up on a website listing a brindle as a Belgian Malinois please be aware that the dog is probably a Dutch Shepherd or a Malinois/Dutch Shepherd cross!
    . http://www.aeolianmalinois.com/

This is a Dutch Shepherd
    dutch shepherd.jpg
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I'm not sure about breed standards worldwide, but brindle is not a permitted colour in the UK Malinois standard. I think it is generally accepted that the brindle colour has come from crossing with the Dutch Shepherd to improve working characteristics.