Deer head chihuahua ? Questions

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by Julie, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie

Deer head chihuahua ?

Walking Betty last night a couple stopped us and said it was lovely to see a deer head Chihuahua. Asked what they meant and they said deer heads are quite rare they paid nearly £2000 for theirs ! I didn't realise Betty was different I thought chis were either long coat or short. Never heard of deer head before ??

She is quite long legged and isn't fat like most chis we see.

But is there such a creature as a deer head ?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bernie

Bernie New Member

Name:
    Bernie
    The term deer head is used to describe any chihuahua that does not have the characteristic apple shaped head. Deer head chihuahuas tend to have a longer noses and a head shape similar to that of a miniature young deer, they also tend to have less chihuahua health problems.

Sounds like the people you were talking too were ripped off as they are not rare at all, you just need to find the right lines...
  4. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Thank you, they had me puzzled LOL

Well the vet has said Betty is very healthy for a chi ones he sees rather regularly tend to have problems. So hopefully she is a deer head and will be well all her life.

My husband whispered to me as we walked away from them she could be a crocodile for all I care she is just perfect as she is !
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What a lovely thing for him to say :grin:

[mind you, Betty is rather scrummy! :007: xx]
  6. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Thank you we think so too, we are blessed really with two of what I think are the most gorgeous girls alive.
  7. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    Betty is gorgeous!! She's exactly the kind of chihuahua I like, I'm not too much a fan of the 'teacup' ones or the ones with extremely domed heads etc.

But I've never heard of 'deer chihuahuas', I guess it's just an expression like 'king staffy' where certain breeders charge more for a certain 'type', but essentially it's the same breed, just a different line.
  8. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    She is very pretty. They liken little minpins to deer not just because of the head shape but because of their deer like 'gait'.

People are always asking me if my minpin is a chihuahua!
    I like your husband's comment! I sometimes just say YES when people ask me!
  9. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Min pins are our second favourite dogs I think as they are very like chis in many ways. Not least those fantastic ears !
  10. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    :grin:
    Deer head or no, she certainly is beautiful:lol:
    Just thinking about all the things I could do with that £2,000!!!:lol:
  11. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    They must have been mad to have paid £2,000. Betty is gorgeous.
  12. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    One of my sons describes Bella as being 95% ears / 5% dog
    :grin:
  13. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Lol, he should have said 5% gorgeousness IMO
  14. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    She is beautiful! :D

"Deer head" is the term used for a head that is technically incorrect according to the breed standard - chi's should have the apple head as someone else mentioned.

Very sad to hear that those poor people paid £2000 for their deer head chi :( We dont charge anywhere near that for our well bred, fully registered, show potential pups and I dont know of any reputable breeders who do!! Any pups of mine with obvious faults, such as an incorrect head, get sold as pets only at a much discounted price. Awful to hear breeders selling them as "rare", they are actually more common than a correct apple dome head chi from what I've found. As long as they are happy with their dog thats all that matters, but i do wish people would do their research before lining the pockets of this dishonest, greedy breeders...
  15. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Well correct or incorrect our Betty is just perfect for us, she wasn't nearly as costly either. :wink:
  16. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    She is absolutely beautiful.
  17. TracyKNixon

TracyKNixon New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    She is cute! I have an apple head chi! She looks similar :)
  18. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Thank you everyone I think she has been reading this as I keep catching her looking in the mirror you can almost hear her thinking I am beautiful, just off for a walk and she will do her sassy tail wagging walk showing off her beauty for all to see, we just wander along behind her like her servants LOL