Detangling! Questions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by tricolourcollie, Jan 21, 2017.

1. tricolourcollie

tricolourcollie New Member

Name:
    Kathryn

Detangling!

Hello!

I have an 8 month old, male tricolour rough collie puppy.

He has a tendency to get matts right behind his ears, and it seems that every time I brush them out, they're back within 24 hours. It takes a long time to brush them out and he doesn't enjoy this. Does anyone have a specific product they'd recommend to help with this? Could anyone possible recommend a detangling spray or other product that makes grooming a little easier for us both?

IMG_6693.JPG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    When I had Cavaliers I found Johnson's Anti Tangle spray worked really well for this problem. On the downside, though it smells pleasant, it is perhaps a little heavy on the perfume. It should not be used before showing in breed classes, as the base is a very light oil, and KC regs. only permit the use of plain water as a coat dressing.
  4. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Removing mats can be an extremely uncomfortable process for your dog. Before you begin, you can spray your dog's coat with a detangling spray. Detangling sprays may not always work. Use a slicker brush to locate the mats. Mats are often found around the ears, below the neck, under the belly, and along the back legs. Take the base of the mat into your hand, at the section closest to your dog's skin. When you find mats, start to untangle them with your fingers. Cornstarch is often used as a dematting aid. You can also try spraying a light coat of coconut oil onto each mat and then combing out. When the mat is very tangled and your fingers aren't working, try picking through it with a comb or other dematting tool instead of just combing through it. Once you separate as much of the mat as you can with your fingers, run through the mat with a dematting comb. If the mat is bad, comb through from the tip to the base to lessen the strain on your dog's hair. Make sure to keep a hold on the mat so you don't pull at your dog's skin. If the mat doesn't come out after using your fingers and a comb or brush, try a mat rake. Once you have gotten the mat loosened enough, use your slicker brush to finish brushing the mat. If the mat won't break apart or loosen with your fingers, the rake, or comb, try a mat splitter. Use a sawing motion when you cut the hair. Be careful using a mat splitter. When everything else fails, try clippers. Make sure to watch carefully as you trim away the mat. If the mats are too difficult to remove, or your dog is not cooperating, take your dog to the groomers. Though some people suggest using scissors, you should refrain from using them on your pet. If you are uncomfortable using these sharp objects on your dog, then take him to a professional.
  5. Elizabeth19

Elizabeth19 New Member

Name:
    Tiffany
    My dog doesn't have so long hair and we don't have such a big problem in removing mats, cause she doesn't have them at all. But I heard that detangling sprays are good, can't recommend you anything specific. My neighbours have a labrador and they use The Rosmax Dematting Tool, it's quite effective as I read its pros here.I think you can't get rid of tangles and mats without a good tool. Hope you'll find a solution. Good luck!
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and GsdSlave like this.
    But you can prevent them from forming in the first place, with regular grooming.;)
  7. agility collie mom

agility collie mom New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    CaroleC likes this.
    Taking his collar off at night should cut down on the tangling.