Did they turn out how you expected/wanted? Discussions

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by SLB, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee

Did they turn out how you expected/wanted?

After all the doodle talk - is there any other crosses that didn't turn out how you expected/wanted/thought?

I always thought with Louie being part Spaniel - he'd have feathering - at least somewhere.

Instead I have ended up with an off colour, slightly smaller longer haired lab, with a flash down his front (which I love).

And you know what I didn't buy into the name and what someone told me to expect or what anyone would have expected so I don't mind. :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. PB&J

PB&J New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Gelert ended up slightly smaller than I expected (he's a German shep x rottie/lab and will probably fill out to less than 30kg), but that's hardly a drawback. His ears took me by surprise somewhat too :lol: He has an excellent temperament as I'm always saying, he just adores everyone, human and canine, so I really think I lucked out there.
    I've always loved German shepherds but I like the benefits of a crossbreed. I really feel I have the best of both worlds with my boy :)
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    People say the want a dog just like Coco as shes tiny and cute ,little do they know ,lol
    She has a high drive and will go on and on ,she's as fast as Oz ,will not take being molly coddled by strangers and would be a real handful if we let her get away with stuff when younger..

She is a proper pocket rocket and is better than i thought she would be ,.
  5. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Better, much better
  6. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I expected Kiara to have longer fur :lol: You never really know with crossess especially rescues but she's turned out a pretty dog with them eyes that make you give her anything she wants :lol:

I didn't really know what to expect from Poppy never having owned a terrier type before however I didn't expect the fire and guts she has or the massess of energy - I've never known a dog keep going like she does, I just can't tire her out :lol: And her personality - she's well just awesome :007:
  7. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Kismet is much smaller and much more highly strung than I was expecting. He parents were both large malamute sized, but leaner and much more laid back and chilled.

Pharaoh's ears occasionally show the pharaoh hound, you cant see the saluki at all, he looks like a miniature greyhound.
  8. colin~

colin~ New Member

Name:
    Dave
    I expected Colin to be big, but didnt think he would be as big as he is (and is still going). He's still only a puppy (5 months) and someone called him a donkey the other day.

I wanted a big dog but he surprises me everyday. It is funny though when you see he playing and running about and jumping on your knee with his puppy brain when he looks like he should be fully grown. :)
  9. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Flynn has turned out to be what I expected, apart from the barking! I knew he was never going to have a thick wiry coat because he didnt have facial furnishings as a pup and the 2 breeds in his mix are so similar that there was never going to be any big surprises.
  10. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Prince (Dobe x GSD) I was expecting to be like a GSD. He isn`t. :shock: It`s a whole new ball game and he`s keeping me on my toes. :lol:
  11. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    My Collie x, Ben, looked just like a Collie as a pup, as he grew he ended up with a Collie body with a small lurcher like head and looooong legs. Also none of the drive of a Collie, he is very laid back, rather lazy but still easy to train.
  12. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I love my cross so much, didnt know what i was expecting, perhaps a stubborn and hyper thing (basset/stafford) but shes not at all. Shes sooo good and very responsive.Wouldnt change her for the world :049: :049: :049:
  13. ami_j

ami_j New Member

Name:
    Jaime
    Nope :lol:
    I got what was meant to be a staffy cross jrt and now have a lanky black and tan dog that everyone thinks is a dobey/rottie cross :lol:
  14. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    Ive only seen one Labradoodle that looks like it turned out

the cavapoo was more cavalier shapped but with wavey poodle like fur

the cockerpoo was cocker shaped but poodle fur

seen a number labradoodles that are large and could well be part irish wolfhound.

My favurite cross ive seen so far that took me by suprise was a yorkie/jrt cross looked like he was definately the two dogs his owner said and was a bit of a pocket rocket, if I wanted a cross I think id go for one of those ^^

he was so sweet and quirky with his yoda ears, JRT body and yorkie hair/colouring he was a very light brown colour like a cappacino im happy to say his owners did not give him a sily designer name either.
  15. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    I've heard loads of people say this - I always ask them how many Standard Poodles they've met cos they aren't particularly small dogs themselves.

We've had a few through training and none have been taller than a SP but some of them have obviously taken their stockiness from the Lab :lol:
  16. PB&J

PB&J New Member

Name:
    Jess
    I've only met the one Labradoodle in the flesh, he looks very much like an FCR but with an odd sort of wavy coat. Lovely boy. He was a rehome from a family with young kids who couldn't handle him.
  17. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I see so many of them about but I just can't see how anyone could part with so much cash for a dog that has probably not had the propper health tests. Some go from £700 up I wonder how such a price is justified in cross, id much prefer to rescue one though then get a puppy you just dont know what your getting.
  18. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I did not really plan any of my Crosses.

Tass was meant to be a BC, but they did admit to not knowing who the dad was! We are pretty sure there is some whippet in there!!

Gabe..... anyone's guess, but I would never have have thought he would turn out like he did - he looked very lurcher like as a pup. he is quite GSD like now. (I was never told what he was, they just handed me the string attached to the belt around his neck!)

Trip was already grown when I took her on, although I first met her as a pup - she looks exactly like she did as a pup with slightly longer legs!

Zeff.....well....had no idea what to expect!! But I luffs him!

I have met several doodles - some look like Labs - others look like poodles!
  19. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    Not saying whether it is right or wrong to breed them/charge a fortune/give them away/rescue them. I was just replying to your comment about their size. Most people think poodles are small and that is probably because they mainly see the toys and minatures, the standards are much less common.
  20. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I've met several labradoodles - in fact my mum's window cleaner has two and they both looked like aussie ones did. Then the one I met at Dogs unleashed looked like a GWP
  21. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    When I got my first Labradoodle I knew I would cet a biggish dog, but thought she would be more elecgant as her mum was a working Lab and dad a Standard Poodle. Somedays I think she looks like a black Spinone, other days an unkempt Giant Schnauzer with big ears!

My second Labradoodle turned out better than expected. She is 3/4 Poodle, and has a Poodley coat that is no more than a few inches long but does not moult. When you brushe her the loose hair comes out and she does not require trimming.