Disappearing down fox burrows Questions

Discussion in 'Parson Russell Terrier' started by lucyW, Apr 4, 2018.

1. lucyW

lucyW New Member

Name:
    lucy

Disappearing down fox burrows

Hello,

I was hoping another JRT owner might have some tips/advice... My Parsons Russell Terrier is 2.5 years old and has recently discovered the joys of disappearing down fox holes. Today it was particularly terrifying as I could hear her barking her head off deep underground and I assumed she was stuck. This put me in a huge panic! Thankfully after about 10 mins she appeared out of nowhere (covered in muck and with a fairly nasty scratch/cut/bite to her nose for her trouble). One trip to the vet later to check her nose was ok and I'm thinking the answer is to keep her on-lead in wooded areas from now on.

I know that JRT's were bred to chase foxes down burrows so presumably they didn't get stuck?!

If anyone has had a similar experience and has any advice I would be really grateful.
    Many thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I’m like you Lucy, I would be in a total panic, thinking the worst
    I know she was only down the hole for 10 minutes, but, I bet it felt longer
    Sorry I have no advice that will help, all I would say is the same as you, keep her on a long lead
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    This can be a problem with JRT's. The same thing happened to a friend of mine, and while they were trying to locate the source of her barking, the dog reappeared from a completely different direction. Even Prince Charles managed to lose one of his JRT's underground.
    I agree that a long line or Flexi lead could be the answer. Alternatively, you could attach a tracker to her collar. At least you would know where to dig it she did become stuck!
  5. lucyW

lucyW New Member

Name:
    lucy
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for your replies! I’ve been sticking to a flexible-lead... a few complaints from the dog but at least I don’t have to carry around a spade!
  6. mossybee

mossybee New Member

Name:
    shona
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I have a parsons terrier and I taped a stick across the back of her harness- it stops her getting down rabbit holes nSVIqEVYTL6Yi3Q1APrAOw.jpg
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Lateral thinking. Brilliant.