Discoid Lupus Health

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by jamade, Jun 8, 2016.

1. jamade

jamade New Member

Name:
    jamade

Discoid Lupus

Hello!I am JA and new here. I have 2 of the most amazing adopted rough collies :) My older one has discoid lupus which is effecting his skin horribly. I do have a special shampoo from the vet which seems to help a lot and he has an appt for next week. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on eeek shaving him with a lion haircut. The reason I am considering this is so the shampoo can really get int his skin and he will obviously dry much faster. He is beyond gorgeous but I am more concerned for his health than his looks! I know how the hair cools them in summer and it may not grow back as quick but I am leaning towards taking that chance. Has anyone went through this yet??? His itching is horrible and he keeps creating matts from all the licking. I would appreciate any feedback! BTW..he is an indoor spoiled dog who really only like the outdoors when going for walks. He is about 9 and also has allergies.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I would ask your vet before shaving your dog, as long fur dogs do need their fur to keep them cool.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    jamade likes this.
    Poor boy. I think I would be inclined to clip the affected area(s). The shampoo would then be easier to apply, and the air would be able to have a greater drying effect. You would also be able to apply any other anti inflammatory meds directly onto the skin. Although it feels like sacrilege to do this to a Rough Collie's coat, this would give you the best chance of getting to grips with his problem. He could always wear one of those cool coats to protect him from strong sun.
  5. BoerboelMom

BoerboelMom New Member

Name:
    Ife
    jamade likes this.
    Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is an uncommon autoimmune disease of the basal cell layer of the skin. Exposure to U-V light (e.g. sunlight) can exacerbate or even precipitate this condition.

The name “lupus” stems from archaic times when the disease was thought to have been caused by the bite of a wolf. The symptoms include loss of pigment, redness, scaling or crusting of the nose with loss of the nose’s normal ‘cobblestone’ appearance. DLE is usually ringworm of the nose and nasal lymphoma, so your veterinarian will need to rule those out. Discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is a more common form of the disease and is confined to the skin. Let us know the results you achieve.

The treatment for DLE may need to be continued for life, but serious side effects from the treatments are uncommon. SLE is usually treated with high-dose glucocorticoids, and treatment efficacy is highly variable, depending on the organ systems involved.

6. jamade

jamade New Member

Name:
    jamade
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you so much for your reply! I tend to think the same.
  7. jamade

jamade New Member

Name:
    jamade
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes, I have decided to wait until his appointment next week. It's the last thing I want to do but if it helps him I will.
  8. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    I don't know anything about the disease, but I wish your dog well. I sure hope you don't have to shave that gorgeous fur.