Do Carolina Dogs make good pets? Questions

Discussion in 'Carolina Dog' started by philbee100, Apr 7, 2014.

1. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil

Do Carolina Dogs make good pets?

i have also wondered for awhile now how CDs do in a household situation. Do they get along with other dogs and small animals? how do they respond to training? if we didn't already have 3 dogs i wouldn't mind having one! i've always thought they were great dogs. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Rachel Nagher

Rachel Nagher New Member

Name:
    Rachel Nagher
    philbee100 likes this.
    they are peculiar dogs but have the capacity to be fantastic pets. they do great with other dogs. small animals and cats not so much because they have a high prey drive. training... they can be trained but they need a strong pack leader. for the most part they're independent and while very smart, don't always obey ;)
  4. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    thank you for your reply. i read the section on your website about CDs in a home environment and learned a great deal of information. sound a bit difficult for me, but for the right person they sound absolutely fantastic.
  5. philbee100

philbee100 Member

Name:
    phil
    i have another question. would CDs be considered a wild animal, or a domestic one? i know the dingos are considered wild, but i'm not sure about the Carolina Dog. they certainly seem to have a lot of habits designed for life in the wild, and they have never been bred by humans for any particular task. i wonder if they shouldn't have their own taxonomic listing (separate species) rather than being listed as Canis familiaris?