Does anyone have experience of Smooth Haired Collies? Discussions

Discussion in 'Collie (Smooth)' started by Hanlou, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han

Does anyone have experience of Smooth Haired Collies?

Whilst looking into Roughs' I've been looking more deeply into Smooth Haired Collies. They are a stunning breed - and as I love the character of the Rough' I'm feeling very drawn to them as a breed. I understand they're classed as 'vulnerable' as a breed which is a shame. :-(

Just wondered if anyone on here has any experience of them - or any pictures? x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muskrat

Muskrat New Member

Name:
    Muskrat
    I don't have any experience of them, but I agree they're stunning dogs! I'd love to see pictures :D
  4. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    lovely dogs , i particular like the tri smooths, from experience they are much stronger willed than a rough lol. yes your are correct they are classed as vulnerable, but i still prefer a coat ;)
  5. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
  6. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I have a friend with smooths and have shown them, really really like them!

I have no clue why they arent more popular!
  7. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Thanks all. :grin: xx

It's the tri's I think I'm most drawn to I think although I have to admit they are all pretty gorgeous.
  8. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I admit, I do like the Smoothies..I do quite fancy one sometime in the future.
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Many years ago I had a friend who used to work her Smooths in obedience(sadly my friend died way too young)they were show bred, but good workers.

Unfortunately like Shelties & Roughs there are few Smooths that are clear of CEA(CH) or even just carriers, all those years ago my friend thought there were probably no genetically clear Smooths in the UK. Hers all came from the Peterblue kennels to whom I think she was related

Of course the breed is Smooth Collies not smooth haired LOLOL
  10. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Azz likes this.
    I used to show them many years ago.
    This is my Sable and White smooth collie Esemaich Softlee Smoothlee at Lemino aged 6 months that day and took Best Puppy in Show. By 8 months she had qualified for crufts.

[​IMG]

This is My Tri colour boy Ch. Astrelita Pot Black at Lemino

[​IMG]
  11. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Thanks and LOL trust me to get the breed name wrong! :lol:

Beautiful pics madmare! :007: :007: x

They really are stunners. Such a dignified, gentle bearing. xx :grin:
  12. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I think (from my looking around) they do seem more worky than Roughies. I do wonder if there are any who still work?
  13. Luke

Luke New Member

I do like them...but don't click with the temperaments at all from the ones I've met.
    I was told they are still used small scale, often with cattle as opposed to sheep though. Don't know the bones to that information though.
  14. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    hmmm...may have to research that when I get home from work (Tantrum at working Sundays!)
  15. Jesss

Jesss New Member

Name:
    Jess
    My inlaws have one she is 8 months and nuts! lovely dog though with a lot of character, could just do with a bit extra training.
  16. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    there's several that still do agility, although i'm not sure if any are worked now.
  17. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Name:
    Dizzy
    I worked with someone who was involved in the smooth world, but didn't learn a jot as we didn't talk dogs.

I don't find them appealing, but they ARE classed as vulnerable. In the US they are much more popular.
  18. tink

tink New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    My ringcraft teacher judged them at Crufts this year,He's mentoring me so has spoken alot about smoothes,We also have one at Ringcraft called Vinnie,He's still only a pup i think around 8 mths old but has done extremely well in the ring so far,He is so lovely too,such a sweet temprement,I could take him home with me :) He's very vocal at times,makes me chuckle :) :)
  19. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Oooh exciting! :grin:

Yeah Whisper's very vocal! The pound (who gave her the name Whisper because they thought she was quiet) evidently hadn't seen or heard the real and very noisy side of her! Luckily when she is barking when we're out and about people just laugh at her 'cos she's so fluffy! :lol:
  20. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    smooths are worked abroad in some countries i.e. sheep geese.
  21. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    LOL...I dont think I have met a quiet Rough!