Does anyone know of any Vizsla gundog training - W Yorks Questions

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by walker10, Jan 6, 2012.

1. walker10

walker10 New Member

Name:
    WALKER1

Does anyone know of any Vizsla gundog training - W Yorks

Hi, does anyone know of any gundog training classes in west yorkshire? I have a 6 month Vizsla and feel the KC classes are not challenging enough for him. Yet I am very squimish and dead birds are not my thing, what is involved in gundog training, do they use dummies? so for sounding a bit daft!
    Also anybody any suggestions on more advanced training? He sits, stays, retrieves a hidden object, recalls (most of the time), heals, paws, lays and lays and sits at a distance. Not being very experienced with Vizlsa any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Cannot help with gun dog training but in terms of suggestions to teach him:

Cross paws
    Through legs
    Targeting objects (with paws and nose)
    Spin
    Rollover
    Crawl
    Play Dead
    Stop

Healwork to music books have quite a few trick suggestions, otherwise books such as 101 dog tricks.

Perhaps have a look at the Dogsey trick training area. There are a list of 25 things over 3 levels to work towards. You can film your dog doing them and upload them for a certificate :)
    http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=159361
    http://www.dogsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276
  4. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    I live in Devon so can't help with clubs up there. I expect you could do gundog type training without using game. But if your not keen on that side of things why not try training clubs which do more advanced obedience or when he's old enough agility or flyball? :) Good luck sounds like he's doing well.

Sophie
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    If you feel shot game is not for you then there is not much point in doing gundog work unless you want to compete in GWT.

GWT only use dummies or cold game.

And you can train your dog and obtain the Working Gundog Certificate (on dummies)

Your breed club(s) can put you in touch with HPR trainers in your neck of the woods (these will included all breeds).

If you feel you would like to do something not related to gundog work, then there is always Working Trials.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/266

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/470

Just a note to compete in FT, GWT etc your dog MUST be KC registered on the BREED register.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/270

Any breed of dog can compete in WT, and although they must be KC registered it can be on the ACTIVITY register.

I would contact here for further info

http://www.thegundogclub.co.uk/
  6. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    This website can be handy for the odd training group popping up locally.

A lot of breed clubs have links to training groups, some you need to be a member to participate, others you don't. Just try Googling some like GWP club, HV club, Weimeraner Assosciation etc and you might get some good results.

This webpage has contact details for Stevie Allerton who holds training groups at Leeds once or twice a month. I met her at a Spring Pointing Test last year and she's a lovely lady, very approachable. I hope to start attending this group this year once I can finance the fuel costs! :shock:

Also look up GSPC Yorkshire Group on "the book that has a face", they're the club that runs the aforementioned training days in Leeds! ;)
  7. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    Also just to add, once your dog is a bit older (and if you really do get into HPR work) there's two pointing training weekends held on the Moors in Reeth every March.

Pointing Breeds training weekends 2012

You can often do the Working Gundog Certificate at these events as well, depending upon the terrain etc.
  8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    You could also have a go at Working Trials - my last HPR dog loved that. (and no small squishies;-) )
  9. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 New Member

Name:
    jayne
    If you can get your posts up to twenty I can pm you the number of the gun dog trainer who helped me when I was having problems with my boys. He does one to one sessions at your house or group sessions at a place called Stubbs hall, near hampole, on the way to Wakefield.
  10. walker10

walker10 New Member

Name:
    WALKER1
    Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your replies its given me alot to think about. Tattoogirl, I will try get my posts up and pm you, I am not far from hampole.
    Not keen on the game thing but really think being a HPR dog he needs a bit more than the training classes I am doing. He loves nothing more than being out chasing birds and sniffing things out. The church hall we attend now is not enough for him he gets really bored waiting about and walking in the same circle. Thanks again everyone.
  11. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I can ask the OH if you like, if he knows any HPR people out your way, we're on the border between South and West Yorkshire.

I'm not squeamish about dead things, but most of the time I use tennis balls and dummies in training, in fact I'm just out with one of my dogs to go and do a bit of fitness training with her, she's put on an extra couple of kgs and needs to loose it. This will involve her running up and down a steep hill, with me doing as little as possible, except whistling her and giving her directions to find the dummy. It's actually a really nice feeling to work with a dog, and see it take your commands, it really does feel like a partnership when you've got them working with you.

:)
  12. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    The training group Stevie Allerton runs is specifically for HPR breeds, if I remember rightly it would be £10 to join the club for a year then £3 per session you attend. I'm pretty sure you can attend as many or as little of the days you want to, which means you could choose to focus on the hunting training without having to deal with handling dead animals. Travelling will probably be the thing that makes it out of your reach though tbh, same for me at the moment! :neutral:
  13. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I would love to go to Stevie's training sessions as she invited me to join them but from Nottingham, it's just way too far. I dont mind travelling but Leeds is a pretty long way.

If the OP could get to them then he'd be in very good hands.
  14. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    I know she seemed lovely and I was supposed to start going last year, but with my dodgy hip and all my out goings getting more and more expensive I just couldn't afford it! :-(

Hopefully this year I can get there, she sent me the itinerary for last years sessions and they had some amazing days lined up! Can't flippin' find it now though!